DFW meet impressions
Jul 9, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 57
swt61 - very nice impressions and pics. If I ever try to upgrade, trust me, Ms. Bahamaman will slap me silly long before you're able to make that drive up I-35.
wink.gif

I want to say again what a great, congenial group this was. Should any of you find yourself coming to the Town of the Cow, give me a shout.

Particularly, like swt61, I would enjoy it if Mark (nickname unknown) would post his impressions. Unlike most of us, he started at one end of the room and moved methodically through every set-up at every station, making notes all the while. Mark, I know you're reading this thread, so don't be bashful!

As to the gear, I made the mistake I made during the last meet - talking more than listening. Having said that, the two notables which I especially enjoyed were the K340 and A-T L3000. Both terrific, both immensely satisfying. Of the high end cans, only the W5000 didn't prove to be my cup of tea.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61

Is that an external hard drive next to the Gilmore Lite?

Looks like the meet went well, I wish I could have came but I'm too new to the area to be venturing that far from home
frown.gif
Maybe some of you can visit Houston in the near future.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #18 of 57
First and foremost my thanks to Alex for putting forth the time and effort to make this all happen. I had a fantastic time and it was nice to see some familiar faces from the last meet I went to.

The one thing that always bothers me, though, is trying to match the face with the name with the username; I'm horrible about this!

Al: the "something" you heard was my Gilmore V1 (DACT). And for the less than $400 I spent on it, I've been quite impressed with it, too. Barely enough to drive the K340, though.

Speaking of which, I really don't like the K340... to the point that I have no idea what people are hearing. The soundstage sounded completely off to me, and I kept hearing a boxy, closed-in sound that made me think of a cheap pair of closed headphones. There were some good qualities, speed being one of them, but none of the good outweighed the bad for me. Uncomfortable, too, even with the AKG velour pads.

The K1000 was still my favorite of the meet, and it sounded better here than in the last setup I tried, much less harsh out of whatever-the-heck it was plugged into, although still delightfully fatiguing. I'm oddly not that bothered by any lack of bass either; I can hear it, and that's all that matters. I just hope whenever I put my speaker system together it will cure me of my interest in these...

Mark's spiffy-new CDP (what was it? T100 or something?) was very nice, certainly a good bit better than the source I use now. Plus it's just a gorgeous-looking unit.

The Millet Hybrid is just fantastic, I may have to get myself one of these... very detailed and rich, I just wonder if it would be fatiguing over a long period of time. Gave my K271s all kinds of punch.

The Meier Headfive was a good little amp, too. I actually thought it a better match for my K271s than my Gilmore was, even though it isn't as powerful. Neutral character, soundstage was a bit compressed (even with crossfeed off), but a very fun, punchy sound. Made me feel like dancin'.

I expected to be impressed by a lot of stuff... and wasn't, oddly. I was definitely worried about liking the K701. It sounded good with practically everything, but I guess I found it too neutral. There was no uniqueness in its character that made it stand out. What really surprised me was how disappointed I was with the more expensive gear - the Stax setup, the HE60, the upper-eschelon Audio-technicas, none of them blew me away like I was expecting them to. The estats were airy and detailed, yes, but neither had a sound signature my ears could really connect with, and didn't have the kind of dynamics that I prefer. Admittedly, I probably should have spent a bit more time getting acustomed to the sound of each headphone, but it's so hard to critically listen in meet conditions.

Speaking of critically listening, I finally got my first experience with aftermarket cables. I was impressed at not only the extent to which the sound changed, but also how it changed the sound. My expectations were an increase in detail, soundstage, extension and perhaps dynamics, while keeping fairly steadfast with the headphone's portrayal of sound. What I heard was more akin to a receiver's "surround" function; while I could easily have mistaken this for increased detail and soundstage, what it really did was change the sound in such a way that sounds that were typically more in the background were brought to the forefront. As this changed the way the mix sounded, I thought it had some adverse effects (as an example, the track I was listening to lost some of its dynamic contrast since the sounds that were supposed to be loudest, weren't). So overall, I'm not sold on cables. For the kind of money you have to spend on one, I'd want something that improves the sound of my headphone, not just changes it.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but I'm tired of writing.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the last few posts? It's like they were never there for me except I can see the names of the last poster.

Yeah, you're not alone.

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Now onto Alex's AKA [AK]Zip's setup.

Alex is the mad scientist of the audio world. You fully expect his homebuilt electronics to blow up in your face when you look at them. Then you listen. Not only did his CDP creation not blow up, it blew me away! And that was no easy task, as it was sitting just a few feet away from Rob's incredible Audio Arts CDP. Alex had a lot of cables there to audition as well. He also brought other well known cables for the sake of A-B ing. What can I say. I clearly found Alex's cables to surpass the others. His interconnects, mini-mini's and Senn. cables all outperformed some serious competition IMO. I'll be contacting Alex for all my future cable needs! Alex owns a pair of ATH-L3000’s that now take my top honors for a fully dynamic headphone. I can’t say enough about them, I loved ‘em! Especially through my Darkvoice. He also brought his baby Orpheus system, and what a treat! While having a different sound sig. than the Omega’s, I was equally engaged in them. I would have loved to hear them through Rob’s ES1. Alex is a very knowledgeable, easily approachable guy that I could spend hours talking to.

Actually part of that setup was mine. I didnt put my ATH-w1000's back together in time for the meet, so i all i brought were the HD-650's, the maxed PPA sitting on top of the millett and next to the HEV, and the custom [AK]Zip (Alex) EMU to RCA cable sitting between the monitor and amps. OH, thats actually Alex's custom HD cable on my 650's right now
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have my HE-60's for the next meet
very_evil_smiley.gif
... next paycheck they are mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

Likewise, all the the other cables were brought by other memebers for the HD line. Like Al (pabbi) said there was the silver and blue as well as a cardas cable, not just alex's. Though, as mentioned several times, Alex's cables are the only ones worth listening to
600smile.gif
Im looking in to getting one too if i decide to keep my 650's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Yes, this really was my biggest disappointment - not getting to hear the HE60 through the ES-1 - but, here's to hoping that is but a short delay.

W5000's? That was my biggest disappointment. Sorry to rag on who has them too, and i really appreciate you bringing them out Jason. But i had high hopes for this pair being a huge AT fan. Those just did not sit right, and they really sounded off. Try to compare them to a pair of w100's if you ever get the chance
3000smile.gif

As far as rob's setup. wow simply wow. and alex's player, though when i heard it at his house before the meet did not really capture my attention was definately a treat when i gave it some more time.

As far as this debate over the Stax and HE60's.... i too would like to hear it, but i currently have money saying HE60's will be better: at least for me. They are a pair like nothing else and have that open, concert air feel and sound to them that make them extremely unique and i have not found a pair that mimics it. Dont get me wrong though! The Stax is a wonderful pair that i wouldnt mind owning or listening to and that one song that you had me listen to Rob really made that bass sound great... be nice if they redid that CD with a better recording though.
frown.gif

I have a few pics too, and i'll repost soon with them

-Stan

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Is that an external hard drive next to the Gilmore Lite?

Looks like the meet went well, I wish I could have came but I'm too new to the area to be venturing that far from home
frown.gif
Maybe some of you can visit Houston in the near future.

Sorry guys, but my feverish googling has yet to return a result
frown.gif

Edit: Is that a power supply underneath Alex's Millett Hybrid?

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #27 of 57
I had a great time getting to meet so many of the Texas Head-fi guys. The location Alex got for us was great and the quality of gear and people was even better. Now for some pics.

First, the one thing at the meet that I decided I have to buy in the near future:

1.jpg

6.jpg

I intend to buy one or more of swt61's beautiful headphone racks if he put them up for sale.

I was very impressed with Bahamaman's whole setup including a slick, very nice looking CDP.

2.jpg

Pabbi1's Esound, woodie earcups and the set of L3000s that made the rounds to everyone's system.

3.jpg

pabbi1's Wheatfield HA-2

5.jpg

Alex's bubble wrap CDP in action.

7.jpg

My Pass Labs Aleph 30 run balanced from the Melos SHA-Gold preamp powering the K1000s.

8.jpg

swt61's custom Zhalou and his new Darkvoice amp.

9.jpg

My Melos SHA-Gold used as a preamp and to power the K340 and Grado RS-1.

10.jpg

This is Plaidplatypus' new CDP and my crappy Sony DVD Player through Stan Warren modded Theta DAC into the two inputs of my Stax SRS-4040 system.

11.jpg

I was very interested in trying the woody AT and the Leather AT and after listening to both for several minutes I decided I am just not an AT guy. The L3000s sounded pretty good and looked great but just didn't work for me. The W5000 sounded a bit "honky" with female voice through the Wheatfield, though guitar sounded pretty good.

I have also decided that I probably don't need a Stax in my collection as I didn't care for the older Stax and I find my new ones to be only satisfactory. The Omega II's were nice but I guess the Stax signature is just not for me.

The only thing I came away from the meet desiring was some of the swt61 racks so I can retire the Headphile one I have and get some fantastic custom ones.

Jul 9, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Sorry guys, but my feverish googling has yet to return a result
frown.gif

Edit: Is that a power supply underneath Alex's Millett Hybrid?

I believe that was an external harddrive of Zuerst.

And yes that was the separate power supply for Alex's Millet Hybrid. Very nice amp BTW. I also liked W.T.'s maxxed PPA, but just sold a maxxed PPA, so was very familiar with the sound sig.

Jul 9, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

I believe that was an external harddrive of Zuerst.

Ahh ok, thanks for confirming that swt61.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK
Zip]My Millett Hybrid has a STEPS psu inside of it. http://apuresound.com/head-fi/MH.JPG

The case below the MH was a separate DAC unit.

-Alex-

Very nice! What DAC is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back