DFW meet impressions
Jul 13, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #46 of 57
Looks like you guys had a great meet. Can someone caption the pictures? I'd like to try to put some faces to names.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Speaking of which, I really don't like the K340... to the point that I have no idea what people are hearing. The soundstage sounded completely off to me, and I kept hearing a boxy, closed-in sound that made me think of a cheap pair of closed headphones. There were some good qualities, speed being one of them, but none of the good outweighed the bad for me. Uncomfortable, too, even with the AKG velour pads.

Well, that's weird. I've always thought of them as a sort of 'Super K271S' myself. Anyone else hear this 'boxy closed in sound' with Steves K340s? I hate to used the old and tired 'Qualia excuse', but I'm thinking this may have been a matter of poor positioning or seal.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
My Melos SHA-Gold used as a preamp and to power the K340 and Grado RS-1.

You like the Melos with the K340s? I thought mine sounded horrible on Jahns amp, and I am pretty sure it was a SHA-Gold.
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by W.T.
honestly what veil?

Just be happy that you don't hear it.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #47 of 57
Any Darkvoice impressions guys?

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
You like the Melos with the K340s? I thought mine sounded horrible on Jahns amp, and I am pretty sure it was a SHA-Gold.
confused.gif

Yeah I am interested to hear Jahn's Melos because it must be very different from mine. I had two people at the meet say that they preferred the Melos/AKG K340 to the Pass Labs K1000. Outside of Redvision I believe everyone liked the K340s out of the Melos pretty well. Maybe they were just being nice?
confused.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #49 of 57
Interesting... Jahn uses his Melos primarily with his HP-2's. Maybe he had it setup in such a way that was unfriendly to the K340's very different drive requirements?

Jul 13, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Well, that's weird. I've always thought of them as a sort of 'Super K271S' myself. Anyone else hear this 'boxy closed in sound' with Steves K340s? I hate to used the old and tired 'Qualia excuse', but I'm thinking this may have been a matter of poor positioning or seal.

I wasn't near by when he listened to them, but was wondering the same thing. Also not sure what amp he plugged them into.

Quote:

Just be happy that you don't hear it.
evil_smiley.gif

I must say that with some of the cables on hand (especially Alex's) The 600's sounded pretty damn good. And I'm no more of a Senn. guy than yourself. They were nice with Alex's amp, Al's Wheatfield and the Darkvoice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
Any Darkvoice impressions guys?

I think there were a few mentions earlier in the thread. Al (pabbi1) quite liked it I think.

Quote:

Interesting... Jahn uses his Melos primarily with his HP-2's. Maybe he had it setup in such a way that was unfriendly to the K340's very different drive requirements?

I wasn't that crazy about the combo. It was good, but they didn't stand up and dance (you'll know exactly what I mean by that). But Jeff's Melos with the RS1 was a match made in heaven. I can see why Grado guys love the Melos.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Disappointed you guys didn't try the SR-404 on the ES-1
frown.gif

Just for you I will plug my 404s into one of the ES-1s at the NYC meet tomorrow morning.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #53 of 57
I want to try my Lambda Pros through Bozebutton's ES-1 too!

And we'll have two Melos Golds here tomorrow, we'll try my HP2 through both, but will a K340 be in attendance this time?

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The DFW meet looks like it was a lot of fun, with lots of great equipment. I am taken back by the woodwork abilities needed to make those headphone stands, gorgeous!
biggrin.gif

The woodwork looks even better in person. That is why I now own the one with the inset wood and three dowels on the top.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back