DFW Meet #9 Date Decision. July 2010! (Dallas + Ft. Worth)
Jul 19, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #20 of 25
dziendobry,

The best way to limit the 'sorry about your wallet' effect is by attending meets close to you and listening for 'free' (time/gas/etc) to all the gear you can before you lay down your money. Showing up with no gear is perfectly fine since you'll find no shortage of people willing to let you try out their gear and get your impressions.

I'm guessing by January DFW area will be ready for another full size meet. I know I'll be there again. Looks like Alex might have a mini meet at his place if you want to check that out whenever he's settled. You'll see a good mix of high, mid, and low-fi stuff at these meets making it possible to try anything to see if the extra cost is really worth it. Don't be surprised if you find something that's low or mid-fi that you like better than the high end gear. My $200 HD600 headphones have kept me from buying lots of higher price headphones so far.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #21 of 25
Hi all,

I have been really quiet the past sixth months since I got heavily involved in the poster and art world. I still have a love for headphones and after very lengthy and helpful conversations (months ago) with various respected members of this forum it was suggested by many to try and go to a meet ASAP.

Any information on a meet in Houston or Dallas or Austin would be helpful (should I just start checking this forum more often for information?)

While I have been itching for months to get a pair of grado's I was kind of held over by some shure se530's I bought 6 months ago, although I think a driver died as one side is quieter than the other :frowning2:

Since buying a pair of SR80s a few days ago for a friend graduating my interest has been sparked again lol. I think it would benefit me to go to a meet and see and hear things I enjoy and setups that are low end, medium end, and high end. While (over time) I would like to slowly gather a nice setup, maybe not the highest end, but at least a set up that could last and be a one time kind of buy (as far as source, amp, and etc)

Thus all that rambling means I should probably attend a meet to kill multiple birds with one stone, or at least answer a lot of my questions and curiosities.

Thanks for any information. Best of luck to you all.

Regards,

Austin

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 25
At this point the Dallas/FW meet looks to be falling back to the main January date. There is a meet in Houston usually, though, on a separate schedule. You'll have to dig up their last meet thread to find out.

It's only August and I'm very much looking forward to the next DFW meet in January. I'll probably have had a chance to audition the Hifiman HE-6 and depending on how that goes I might have a new phone in the stable. Even if the HE-6 doesn't work out I'll likely have something new as my HD580/600 listening for the last 10 years needs something new. I'm torn between all sorts of options from other mid to high end dynamic open phones to stats to orthos.

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
I can't really answer your question since I've never been to a meet but if you want to find out 'what' happens I suggest you read through the meet impressions forum. There's threads there about past DFW meets as well as meets from around the country/world.

thanks for the info. i checked out a few threads and found out i missed a meet in Denver when i was out of town. soo disappointed! needless to say, i will be attending a Dallas meet if there is one in January or possibly sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back