DFW Meet (31 Jan 2009) Impressions
Feb 1, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 57
Btw: Head-fi is so boring when you have temporary audio bliss. I have nothing to shop for
frown.gif

edit: I noticed looking at my MKVI book I conveniently left at home that the gain controls are default to HD650/600/580, K701, etc, but the other setting is for K1000. Wish I would have tried Pete's K1000 on this amp, but didn't realize it could drive them. Maybe next time. Specs say it's 5W x 5W @ 120ohms. Variable gain of 5x or 10x.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #17 of 57
Very nice impressions and pictures. Looks like it was a lot of fun.
Reading all the impressions about the K701 is interesting. It's either a love or hate can.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice impressions and pictures. Looks like it was a lot of fun.
Reading all the impressions about the K701 is interesting. It's either a love or hate can.

They really sound very similar to well driven Senns, maybe just a bit flatter, but I didn't mind them at all. I would be satisfied with them if I had them balanced instead of my HD600.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 57
Sure looks like you had a nice meeting!
..always nice to read about people exposing themselves to Stax and K1000 for the first time.
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: I noticed looking at my MKVI book I conveniently left at home that the gain controls are default to HD650/600/580, K701, etc, but the other setting is for K1000. Wish I would have tried Pete's K1000 on this amp, but didn't realize it could drive them. Maybe next time. Specs say it's 5W x 5W @ 120ohms. Variable gain of 5x or 10x.

You should try with the K1K. The MKVI is designed to drive the K1k.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try with the K1K. The MKVI is designed to drive the K1k.

Yeah, next time
angry_face.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is it with your BH, Al? It is always broken...
frown.gif

No idea - Marc checked the offset at Thanksgiving, at <10, and one channel was >200 yesterday. Hasn't been moved or powered on in between. Just no clue at this point. Maybe we will have time to look at in a few weeks when we are stuffing the new boards. Then, it can sit again, since I'll have no use for it...
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #26 of 57
Another great meet. And this time not only did Pabbi have issues so did I and it was great that everyone there came to my help in diagnosing my sick mapletree. Thanks Chris, Pat, Alex and everyone else that helped. We tore the amp down and checked everything only to find out the the power cord was the culprit the whole time. HA!

Thanks to Chris for giving me a free power cord.
smily_headphones1.gif
The least I could do after that is let you do an a/b with my grados.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea - Marc checked the offset at Thanksgiving, at <10, and one channel was >200 yesterday. Hasn't been moved or powered on in between. Just no clue at this point. Maybe we will have time to look at in a few weeks when we are stuffing the new boards. Then, it can sit again, since I'll have no use for it...
tongue_smile.gif

That does sound odd. My old BH was rock stable and didn't drift much.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 57
Looks like a great meet! I've posted a few times since Friday 'round the net, but just haven't had any energy... just exhausted. Looks like there was plenty of reason to be there
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking forward to more posts / pics!

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 57
I really liked the K701's off of the Millett 307. Off my ASL amp, not so good.
I also enjoyed the AT electrecs. Very good bank for the buck.
I also really need to think about a V3 cable for my Senns.
That's a great cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back