DFW Meet (31 Jan 2009) Impressions
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #46 of 57
unless of course you're a closet grado fan
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all good stuff. One potential distinction would be electrolytic output caps versus film output caps. I think if you had to go one more round with the Bijou, I'd look at the input tubes and the capacitors.

For example, let's say you optimize for the HD800 (300 ohm) and looking for f3 around 11 Hz. That would be ~48uF on the output... so, 47uF nominal would work. If you are okay with f3 of 16 Hz, then 33uF would be fine. 22Hz would be 24 Hz, etc.

So, < $100 for Mundorf M-Cap... Mundorf Tube-Cap would even be an option.

I think this would be a reasonable next step. Then take it back and compare with Pete's amp and get some more feedback from the crew
smily_headphones1.gif

A real no brainer if I could find 3 more of those 47uF for $18 shipped each, eh?
wink_face.gif
That and the Regal mod seem reasonable for another $100, and the 6 months it would take me to get that all done... oy.

But, what's the use in bringing a retread amp to a meet? Gots to be new and different. Like Dynafet and (codename) Raven?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, no, you didn't... I don't think so. May be a lot of closet things, but never Grado...

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..always nice to read about people exposing themselves to Stax and K1000 for the first time.
smile.gif

@krmathis, your choice of words invited some disturbing mental images!
eek.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #49 of 57
I wish I still had a decent integrated amp so I could of set up
the Sr-40/srd-4. I would of needed another table, but that would
of been a good Stax reference, electrets, 202's, and 404's!
The tube amp build has also come out of mothballs. It's time
to go glass with the Stax.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always time to go glass with the Stax.

FTFY.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@krmathis, your choice of words invited some disturbing mental images!
eek.gif

He he

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #52 of 57
Definately a good meet - glad i made it and got to mingle and revisit some old phones like the w100's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #55 of 57
Looks like everyone had a sweet time at this one. I wish you guys would come by central Texas. I don't think we have many hardcore audiophiles here, although Austin is full of musicians.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #56 of 57
That's wrong - there is a Central Texas thread, and, given delivery of HD800, and a couple of amps coming online, we will be visiting Austin, where a couple of very hard-core designers (and builders) live. It is also midpoint for the dallas and Houston crowd, so maybe in the next couple of months...

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #57 of 57
Next meet, I may have something to add to the party as I recently acquired the Sugden Headmaster amp. It is possible that most of you have not heard this SS amp, although it has been in production for many years.

I am up for traveling to Austin, but will be seeking a ride from a Dallas, Frisco or Plano resident.

Until next time, best regards, David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back