Devin Townsend band: SYNCHESTRA
Apr 6, 2006 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Big G

100+ Head-Fier
wow, listened to this album last night a couple of times through, both on the Stereo and on Headphones.. What a wild ride, super production as usual from Devy, but really quite experimental in parts.

Definately worth a listen for any fans of his previous works

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
I think it's a great album...still not sure where I'm going to rank it among his other work, though.

Highly recommended, for sure.

Hi - I have this album & the "more in yer face" Accelerated Evolution
eggosmile.gif

What do you consider his best work then?
Paul
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 24
Synchestra definitely lives up to the standards set by Devin's other albums. Out of the two Devin Townsend Band albums I would give the nod to Synchestra. Accelerated Evolution, while still quite good, I felt was missing some of the quirkiness that made Devin's other solo projects so great. As far as my favorite DT album, I think Terria will always hold the biggest place in my heart. IMO Devin created the best work of his career with the song "Earth Day."

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 24
As much as I love progressive metal, Devin is just way too weird for me. His music is just so out there. He's extremely talented and everything, but his music makes me cringe at times. Anyone else feel the same way?

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 24
I agree with Error on Synchestra vs. Accelerated Evolution. Both great albums, though.

I actually think my favorite by him is Ocean Machine / Biomech.

Earth Day is definitely a crowning achievement, though.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 24
Ocean Machine is indeed a great album, I also like Physicist. Going to pick up Terria and accelerated evolution in the next week.

I got into his music when Syl-City was released, primarily a SYL fan, but love his solo work for its diversity.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 24
The production on his albums is incredibly layered...the more you listen and the higher fidelity of your system the more enjoyable....

so much to explore in each song. If you watch the DVD which accompanies the SYL album it shows Devin at work at the mixing desk and computer, you can see the amount of layers / samples in his work on the computer screen.

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big G
Ocean Machine is indeed a great album, I also like Physicist. Going to pick up Terria and accelerated evolution in the next week.

I got into his music when Syl-City was released, primarily a SYL fan, but love his solo work for its diversity.

I have DT Ocean Machine & Terria which I really like so will have to pick up new album soon.

This material can appeal to extreme metal fans with open mind as well as typical progressive metal fan, doesn't sound cheesey like some prog metal can........instead very creative mix of styles.

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
This material can appeal to extreme metal fans with open mind as well as typical progressive metal fan, doesn't sound cheesey like some prog metal can........instead very creative mix of styles.

Yep, well said.

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 24
I think people who like newest Opeth "ghost reveries" should check out DT "ocean machine + terria + and perhaps synchestra" will appeal to your taste. Also fans of Porcupine Tree "in absentia" album.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back