Devilsound DAC mini review
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
The Devilsound DAC sells for $250 (online only) and is a USB cable that is terminated to an onboard DAC (much like what a Transparent/MIT cable looks like but much much smaller). The output of the DAC is a solid core silver conductor cable covered in black nylon mesh terminated with Eichmann Silver Bullet RCA connectors. The cable is about 7 feet long but there is a 10' extension cable that is included. The DAC is powered by the USB port of your PC/Mac, so the design is elegantly simple. Build quality is very good.

I bought one of these recently and have it hooked up in my bedroom system which consists of an Almarro A318B, ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Sigs, Kimber 4TC speaker cable and an Apple iBook G4 which has AAC files stored on it purchased from the iTunes Store. I wanted to upgrade the sound that I was getting from the analog headphone output of the iBook and I am pleasantly surprised how much better my system sounds. The bass now has an organic quality to it with much better layering and definition. Initially, the highs were a little edgy but they smoothed out after a few days running and the decay on instruments is much better.

I am very happy with my purchase since my expectations from such an affordable upgrade were easily exceeded.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review, I'm starting to look around for DAC's and the Devilsound caught my eye.

Lo and behold, theres a review on head fi
smily_headphones1.gif

di you try this with head phones at all?

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you try this with head phones at all?

No headphones, just my speakers.

Given Devilsound offers a 60 day full refund on their DAC, I'd say check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back