Devices for people with unbalanced hearing
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

b0000

500+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Headphone Amps (full-size or portable) or Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories forums, so i'm posting this here. 

My right ear doesn't hear quite as well as my left ear. Fortunately, windows has a left/right balance setting. But when i'm listening through anything else, it's really annoying. The ipod's left/right setting is worthless because my sweet spot is within the range where the slider auto-pops into the center. Also, dolby headphone through my DSS2 from my consoles sucks.

I know that the Fiio e17/e07k has a left right balance setting, but it seems that the steps/increments are quite large, so i'm a bit skeptical.

Does anybody know any amplifiers/devices of any kind that has a left right balance setting?

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 7
OK - here's an unconventional answer for you...

Get two amps and feed the left channel into one amp and the right channel into the second amp. Then bring the headphone out from each amp back to one cable for the headphones.

:wink:

Or, use a home stereo/theater receiver that either has a balance control, or the ability to boost/cut the levels for each channel.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 7
OK - here's an unconventional answer for you...

Get two amps and feed the left channel into one amp and the right channel into the second amp. Then bring the headphone out from each amp back to one cable for the headphones.

wink.gif

Or, use a home stereo/theater receiver that either has a balance control, or the ability to boost/cut the levels for each channel.

I lol'd at that first part.

The receiver thing might actually work. Now if only i have a portable solution... I'll definitely give fiio a go if nothing else comes up.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 7
Once the Sansa players (such as Clip+ or Clip Zip) have Rockbox installed they have fairly good balance adjustment settings in small increments. You could set the balance on the player and use it from headphone out or feed to an amp and keep the same balanced setting. If you don't know about Rocbox it's a 3rd party software we install on the Sansa units that gives you many more features and settings. So happens a balance control is one of those. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back