Developing a handmade headphone
Feb 3, 2016 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Armillary

Head-Fier
I'm a long time watcher, and occasional participant on the site and I'm hoping to get some suggestions and opinions about a project that I'm working on which will hopefully interest anyone looking at new planar magnetic headphones or diy components.

I've been modding the T50RP's for a few years now using methods found on the board and a few I derived myself and after learning a bit more about the function of planar magnetic drivers I thought I'd experiment with a 3d printed prototype. After working out a number of challenges in the process of creating a proper retainer and diaphragm I was able to create a working driver, it still needs a bit more work but I was surprised by the quality of the sound it can currently produce.

A render of an early version of the prototype driver

I have a variety of ideas for improving the design of the driver and making it unique among the variety of drivers currently produced, and I'd like to get in contact with anyone who might have knowledge on the subject that would be interesting in getting involved. The long term goal is to find a method that would allow for the production of a planar magnetic headphone driver at an affordable price for diy headphone construction. 

I've also been working on designs for a planar magnetic headphone, based on my prototypes using the t50rp drivers. I'm currently aiming to find a lower price point than the currently available "artisan" planar magnetic headphones out there, and also working to broaden the applications of the set. Essentially I'd like to introduce the awesome spatial positioning of the planar design to the gaming audio crowd, and those looking for better entertainment audio. I believe that a well designed planar could fit those intentions just as well as good musical sound quality. I'll be posting more about the design as I'm able, but the key components to the design so far include angled pads, full wooden construction on the cups, and a fairly portable form factor. I've combed through a lot of the posts about t50rp modifications as well as a good portion of the orthodynamic threads but I'd still appreciate any feedback or advice available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back