DETROIT "MINI" MEET - Saturday 9/6: Who's Coming??
Aug 25, 2003 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
LAST UPDATED 9/03 @ 9:40 PM EST

Well, it's getting down to the wire. As of 9:00 PM this evening, we are officially finalizing the guest list. Anyone who had hoped to come but has as yet neglected to post here, it is now officially too late. Sorry about that folks, but among other things, were going to run out of room.
biggrin.gif

I will be sending out directions later this evening by e-mail to all those who are on the list. As you all know by now, we're officially a go for Saturday, September 6th. The location is in the Livonia area, within a couple of miles of I-275 and 6-Mile road. Anyone who has not heard from me by Thursday evening should contact me immediately via PM.

We're tentatively planning to start set-up at about 10:00 AM. If you were planning to come early and leave early, or come late and leave late, that's fine. In fact, if things are a bit staggered it will work out just fine IMHO. I will know more in the next day or so, and will be posting specifics at that time. Regardless, we're going to be listening to some of the best headphone gear that you will find anywhere. I mean, just look at that list!!

Please remember to check e-mail at least once a day leading up to the meet, as we may need to contact you with directions and other announcements. Updates will also be listed on this website, but the e-mails will contain the most detailed info.

Which brings me to the gear section. We have received two rather large containers of gear from HeadRoom, and I have posted the contents below. As of this point, I'm thinking that updates will be few. However, be aware that there will very likely be a few surprises at the meet that I'm not able to discuss in advance.
biggrin.gif

ATTENDEES:
acs236 (tentative)
arnaud
arnett
babykenny
btaki
chosen1
elrod-tom
john_jcb
jude
malthius
mikhail
nightfall
Ray Samuels
Tuberoller

GEAR:

Cans:
AKG K271
AKG K340
AKG K501
AKG K1000
Audiotechnica ATH-EM7
Beyerdynamic DT931
Beyerdynamic DT880
Grado HP1
Grado RS-1
Grado SR80
Grado SR225
Philips HP890
Philips HP910
Sennheiser HD-600
Sennheiser HD-600 w/Equinox cabe
Sennheiser HD-497
Sennheiser HD-25
Sennheiser PX-100
Sony CD3000

Amps:
AKG Hearo 999
ASL TwinHead
Headroom BlockHead with Senn HD600 and Grado RS-1
Headroom Max 2002 w/Stepped attenuator
Headroom Max
Headroom Maxed Out at Home
Headroom Cosmic
JMT Meta 42
Meier CordaPreHead (both chips)
Meier Corda HA-2
Meier Audio HA-1 MKII
Meier Audio Porta Corda
Musical Fidelity X-Cans V2
nOrh SE9
Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 (both chips)
Ray Samuels Emmeline II "The Stealth"
Ray Samuels XP-7 Portable amp prototype
Singlepower MPX3
Singlepower PPX3
Singlepower Supra
Wheatfield HA-2

Sources:
Adcom GCD-575
Arcam Alpha 7SE
Bel Canto DAC2
Denon 2900 Universal player
Elite DV-47Ai w/ MSB 192K Upsampling Mod
i-River IMP-350
Jolida JD100A with RCA tubes upgrade
Marantz 8400 Universal player
Meridian 508 24 BIT CD player
MSB Gold Link III DAC
Parasound CDC1500 - 5 disc changer
Philips 963SA
Ray Samuels Phono Stage
Sony DVP-NS500V
Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD
VPI Scout Turntable
Yamaha Dv2300 Universal player
Yamaha PX-2 turn table

WISH LIST
ASL MG-Head
ASL MG-Head OTL-32
Grado HA-1 Amp
Perreaux SXH-1 Amp
Stax (any kind)
Reel to Reel rig

As you can probably see, we're a bit short on sources for our many amps. If anyone can bring sources, it would help a lot. One other thing that we always seem to need at these things is cables cables cables. Oh, and any power conditioning equipment that you might have would be helpful.

BTW - There is GOOD NEWS: We've found a BALANCED SOURCE!!! That means that we will have the BlockHead!! If you haven't heard this amp, you are in for a treat. It's the best solid state amp I've heard by far.
biggrin.gif

It's going to be a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing you all very soon.

Aug 25, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 15
i can bring my singlepower MPX3 -- unless Fred wants to bring his instead. i can also bring my beyer DT-880. i know that scottpaul_iu also has a pair, so if he brings his i won't bring mine.

i don't really want to mess with bringing my Sony DVD/SACD player because it's so bulky (i.e., 5-disc changer).

the real question is whether there will be a turntable at the meet. i'm hoping someone will be able to bring one.

elrod-tom,

did you ever get a reel-to-reel player?

jude is tentative? i thought we were having this meet at HIS house!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 15
No reel to reel player yet...I'm having a hard time getting it through committee thus far.

My recommendation - buy all your toys while you're single.
biggrin.gif

BTW - Jude says that he'll make it by for at least a little while.

Aug 26, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 15
I can bring:

Sources:

VPI Scout Turntable
Philips 963
Denon 2900 Universal player
Yamaha Dv2300 Universal player
Marantz 8400 Universal player

Amps:

Singlepower Supra
Singlepower PPX3
Wheatfield HA-2
JMT Meta 42
Headroom Max 2002 w/Stepped attenuator
Ray Samuels XM-7 Portable amp prototype
Meier Audio Prehead (LM)
Meier Audio HA-2
Meier Audio HA-1 MKII
Meier Audio Porta Corda

Phones:

Grado HP1-if they get back in time
HD600/Equinox
Grado RS80
Beyer DT880
Beyer DT931

Cables:
Acoustic Zen WOW!
DiMarzio M-Path
Audioquest Diamondback

I can bring two conditioners and some tubes to swap through the tube amps and I'll try to bring some suprise gear (that cannot be photgraphed) that I was gonna debut at the Chicago meet. I don't want to be selfish so we can share. I'll talk to Ray Samuels about sending an HR-2 and some op-amps to swap.

I'm gonna be in a smaller car this time and I may have to chuck some gear. I'll sacrifice the borrowed digital sources first but hopefully everything will fit.

Aug 26, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 15
There have been a lot of changes in the last 24 hours. Please take a moment and check the first post in this thread for updates.

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Elrod-Tom,

Well, I was planning to be around Holland on that week end, but this meet sounds too promising to miss!!!

So, here is what I can bring:

- source: Jolida JD100A with RCA tubes upgrade
- amp: Meier Audio PreHead with LM chip
- cans: Sennheiser HD600 - stock cable
- ICs: Outlaw audio PCA 0.5m + 50 cents cable from the Jolida CDP which actually sounds like the $50 PCA through my rig...

cheers,

Arnaud.

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 15
Hey everyone:

We're going to start getting to the point where we need to hear from anyone who is thinking of coming who hasn't let us know yet. As you can see, we've got some pretty good numbers coming already. For planning purposes, we need to know what's up ASAP.

If you are coming, and have yet to contact me and forward your contact info, you need to do so immediately...within the next day or so.

Thanks....

Sep 2, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 15
Ray Samuels and I will both be there. We will be coming over together from Chicago.

I can bring Phillips 963SA and a Sony DVP-NS500V sources.

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Hi everyone:

I just spoke to Ivy at HeadRoom. She's sending out our box of stuff this afternoon, and wants to know if we want the blockhead. I have been unable to run down a balanced source.

If anyone knows where I can find one, please let me know ASAP.

Sep 3, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 15
I will very likely be sending out contact info and directions to this event via e-mail this evening. Please PM me if you have not received it by Thursday evening. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 15
Why the hell you still callin' this a mini-meet?

Sep 4, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 15
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back