Detroit Meeting Rocked!
Dec 4, 2001 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scottpaul_iu

500+ Head-Fier
Thanks to Jude for setting up the Detroit event. Thanks to Danny and Tyll for trekking out to let us hear all that great gear. This event really surpassed my expectations. Please let me know if there will be any other user events in the Motown area.

To level set everyone hear, I currently own a Headroom Supreme from 1995, Etymotic 4Ss, Quicksilver M-80 monoblocs, Convergent Audio Technologies (CAT) SL-1 Reference preamp, Audio Alchemy Transport, DAC 1.1, DTI, Artemis Eos One speakers. I prefer tube amps when they are done well. I don't like the soft rounded classic tube sound from the early 80s.

Big takeaway from the meet. I still hands down prefer the Etys, but the Senn 600s are a close second. In the past I have preferred Grados (325, RS1) to the Senn 580 or 600s. Not anymore. That was a big surprise.

I was absolutely juiced to be able to listen to the Orpheus, Stax Omega, Holmes-Powell, EAR amps, Blockhead, Max and Home. I was a little disappointed that the Maxxed Out Home was not present. But how can you complain with all the equipment that was present.

Oprheus - Great detailed sound. But it sounds a little too tube like to my ears. Does not give very good detail in the bass area. I was also surprised to see a built in DAC in the back of the amp. What a waste of time and money. That thing (DAC) has to be obsolete in a SOTA amp. When taking into account the price, I didn't care for it. Reminds of very expensive speakers like the Wilson's that are more a statement of your bank account that the absolute best in its class.

Holmes-Powell - How can I say it, I hated it. I had high expectations for this amp, but I found it almost unlistenable. It had the big soft, rounded sound like an early 80s Conrad Johnson amp. Pleasant sound, but clearly surpassed by it lower priced competitors.

The Blockhead - This amp rocked. It had all the classic solid-state positives. Great detail, rock solid bass, fast transients and so on. This amp was really a great sounding high-end unit. Clearly a good deal for its price. I really liked the sound of this unit with the Senn 600s. This is one serious piece of high-end equipment. This is solid-state done right. Amazing.

Max - Not as good as the Blockhead, but very good. I listened to this quite a bit with my Etys and I really liked the sound (obviously I could not use the Etys on the blockhead). I will really look into this unit for my next upgrade.

Baby Orpheus - Did not like the unit. I thought that it was totally outclassed by the Max w/600s and outclassed by the Home w/600s.

The EAR amps were very good sounding units, but too expensive for me. Additionally, I preferred the Blockhead to the EARs.

Grado RA-1 - Sounded very rolled off to me. Good match for the Grado phones. That amp is not my cup of tea. Not too much detail as compared to the MG Head, X Cans or Creek 11-SE.

I was surprised at how good the Audio Alchemy amp sounded. On a par with my Supreme.

I thought that the Creek 11-SEs sounded great but lacked some gas. Hard to get the volume up there.

The Wheatfield HA-1 was not good sounding. Very slow and little detail.

However the Wheatfield HA-2 was a great sounding unit. I was left wondering about the reliability of the unit though as one amp had problems with tubes and was not able to be used. I really liked the sound of this amp. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on its reliability?

Big takeaway was Senn 600s were awesome. The other was I would like to get a Stax Omega, Blockhead or Max amp.

That's my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
What did you think of the Omega II?

Sorry for leaving that amp out. I really liked the Omega II. Great detail on the amp, you can really hear into the recording well. Very smooth sound across all frequencies. Bass is good, not as good as the Blockhead though. I found the headphones to be uncomfortable though. But this amp/headphone combo would be on my shortlist with maybe an edge to the Blockhead.

Dec 4, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Great reviews! I found them very informative and to the point. Hopefully, one day they will host a meet in New York City!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back