Detroit Area (Royal Oak) Head-Fi Meet - Impressions
Jan 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any more pics of the meet or of davids speakers?

I hope to post more pics tonight...I'm still a bit busy with work right now. I know...I suck...

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Billy it came as a big shock to me that you haven't heard the Daddy O, and just heard the Baby O for the first time. i think we're spoiled on the coasts - man, Chi-town needs some O-lovin', someone step up to the plate! Well, definitely set aside some time at the Nat meet to hear the HE90, even with the loud ambients. You won't get the whole picture, but enough to realize you've heard the best pair of cans in the world. in my not so humble opinion.
600smile.gif

We don't get Electro's in Chicago, no one I know owns a he-60 or he-90. I think its a midwest thing..lol
Cali and NY along with Flor has all the toys..damm you but good on my wallet.
lol.
I would die to get a he-90 setup at my house for a week, sit back and see what these cans are..ok so i am dreaming.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #64 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What model Harbeth speakers did he have on?

The 5's and 3's...the 3's were the little ones. I've not heard sound like that coming out of such a small package before. Surprisingly good bass...and these are SEALED speakers!! NO PORT!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #68 of 74
I have someone's Sennheiser power adapter. I found it less than 5 minutes ago in the bottom of the bottom of the bottom of my backpack. Is must have fallen in during packing or the like. Who's is it (please describe it so I know this is the correct one) and I will ship it out ASAP.

I'm sorry!

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #71 of 74
Billy:

It was good meeting you. Do you think you brought enough gear?
k1000smile.gif

I was impressed by the B-52. Show/meet conditions aren't the best to evaluate a piece of gear, but I definitely liked it, especially with the K701s. A real synergistic match, to my ears. Not a bad first choice for a "novice," eh?
tongue.gif

Yeah, I would've liked to have heard those 12AUs. I definitely have a lot of tube choices to consider--a pretty bewildering array of choices, in fact.

That's interesting about line conditioning. Being the ever-curious audiophile, I'll still try it with my Jena Labs conditioner--it's improved EVERY piece of gear I've plugged into it: amps, subs, preamps, everything--but I don't doubt your findings. We'll see what happens.

BTW, I've only been away for 12 years. If I had had another 5 years in the hobby, I wouldn't have been able to afford the B-52--or anything else for that matter.
rolleyes.gif

bhd812;2671763 said:
Hmm better late then never..

Quint
dude how did you like your future baby? say something man..lol
for all of you not in the know Quint is the man who makes a 17 year return to headphones by buying a RSA B52..lol I couldn't even do that. I asked Ray if he wanted me to deliver your B52 to you, but it would cost him a $5,000 shipping charge..lol he didn't go for it...damn!
Quint I feel bad cause i have some matched pairs of Baldwin yellow label
12au7's (made by Raytheon) and I should of brought them for you..maybe next time..since your starting a headphone club out there (freaking Chicago cant even get a meet let alone a headphone club..good idea though).
also don't ever plug your B-52 in any fancy power thingys, like conidionters of worse yet balanced power sources..if you wanna know why not then I dare you to Try it..expect to loose a good 40% of your sonics though.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #72 of 74
I guess I should probably chime in with my impressions, for what they're worth. I didn't stay as long as I wanted, as I wasn't feeling in a particularly good frame of mind, and I didn't want to bring anyone down.

But here's what I thought:

(1) I liked the Baby Orpheus setup, but not as much as some. As to be expected, it's very revealing, but I felt it was compressive and lost all composure on rock/pop, especially when turned up. And the bass wasn't nearly as dynamic and present as I like in my music. But with the right recordings, it's definitely magic. I haven't heard the Stax O2s in a while, so I can't comment on how they compare, but the same limitations apply (I owned the original Omegas).

(2) Much to my relief--you could hear the sigh across the room
biggrin.gif
--the B-52/701 combo was terrific. Probably the highlight of the show for me. A truly synergistc match. I didn't care for the Senns through the RSA--a little too dark for my taste, even balanced. The RS-1s were pretty nice, although marred by some of that Grado "peakiness."

(3) Billy's G08 surprised me. A very nice player. I should've expected it, having owned a 508.24, but Meridian's definitely made some nice progress since then. Very impressive.

(4) The K1000s were VERY interesting, and definitely unique, but my ears were never able to fully adjust. Gotta hear these things a few more times to confirm my impressions.

(5) Tom's ASL was quite nice. I owned the Hurricanes and have always liked the company's sound.

Well, that's about it. Overall, a very nice meet. I just wish my mood had been less "cloudy" that day.
mad.gif

Thanks to Dave for hosting. We should definitely do this again, maybe in a club setting next time around.

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #73 of 74
**** i cant believe i missed this, especially since i technically started the thread back whenever it was, completely lost track of it, im an idiot.

i suppose its too soon for another meet...

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #74 of 74
Dave just emailed and informed me that he found a case full of CDs!!!!

Did anyone leave their CD at Dave's place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back