Details revealed by HD280Pro vs. MS1.
Jul 4, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Can't really break out the speakers as no one likes opera except me. The MS1 and the HD280 aren't soundstage cans unfortunately, as much as I love them. Amping doesn't help, or perhaps my PIMETA isn't capable?
However, I do enjoy the MS1 particularly for rock, jazz and chamber/solo pieces as the brightness and details work quite well in "lightening" up those pieces. I like my HD280s for electronica, ambient, r'n'b and hip-hop.

So I am using this to justify buying new cans. I swear, this place will be the end of me....

biggrin.gif
Welcome to the world of high end audio I suppose.

So, I'm not the only one with this impression then. Good, then eventually I can justify to my wife why I want, NO, WHY I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE the Beyers DT880 or the Senns HD600/650.

Actually, I have the same problem here, my wife's taste in music is very small and VERY VERY selective (she's a classical pianist), so, she is EXTREMELY critical about what she listens to..and she majorly only likes classical piano pieces without orchetration... (i.e. no concertos).

I on the other hand, have a wide range of musical taste...but particularly love Jazz vocals,Jazz, Classical concertos, opera and much more..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well..that's what headphones are for I suppose..

Cheers!
SH

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #17 of 19
I echo the sentiments of some of the others here: trust your ears. Just curious, how much burn-in does the MS1 have?

Also, have you tried the HD280 with the PAv2? Just curious if it makes a difference.

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I echo the sentiments of some of the others here: trust your ears. Just curious, how much burn-in does the MS1 have?

Also, have you tried the HD280 with the PAv2? Just curious if it makes a difference.

Hey there..

The MS1s have maybe 50 hours in them right now. The HD280Pro has about 20 hours on them.

As for the PAv2, unfortunately, nope, I didn't try the 280s on them. I should actually go try that. Besides that, do you think that because PAv2 isn't a Class A Amp, it is loosing the details? As I understand it, non class A amps have to play catch up all the time as they switch off whenever there isn't any signal.

Just wondering...

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #19 of 19
Another thing to consider is that MS-1's benefit from a bit of a boost in current. I've found that they lack a little oomph/punch and detail at lower volume levels, i'm not sure how loud you listen to things, but i think at a medium/higher volume the MS-1's will dominate in detail, not to say the HD280s aren't detailed. The isolation, IMO is a contributing factor, but that is just inherent in the designs of both cans.

Listening to your ears is fine, too. to each his own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back