Detailed DAC/AMP with great soundstage
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

squadgazzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!
Right now I own IFI iDSD micro Black Label and Signature and use them as a desktop solution with my MacBook and Campfire Audio Cascade. I listen to electronic music(ambient, techno, idm).
Why do I like BL: it has a great soundstage and bass response as well as great details.
Why do I like Signature: this unit has much more details sacrificing soundstage comparing to BL.

A perfect device should combine these qualities such as wide soundstage and great details.
I do use headphones at home only, so I'm able to switch to a desktop DAC/AMP. It could be separate devices.
Preferably, fully balanced with 4.4mm/XLR balanced output.
My budget is around $1200. New or used doesn't matter.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 19
It is really hard to get both super detailed and wide soundstage in an amp. Maybe it happens to top of the line $$$$ amps that I haven't had chances to listen to
In my experience the class-a amps often have wider soundstage than the class-ab amps. Not necessarily more detailed but the soundstage and the better timbre.
I recommend you to try the Burson Soloist 3x. I am saving up for that amp as well

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 19
How would a dac / amp create a better soundstage.
I've compared IFI devices. IFI iDSD micro BL, Signature and Diablo. And they all have different soundstage and details. BL is the warmest and it has the widest soundstage. Its sound is very spacious. And the same time BL has the least details.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Chasing the wrong item.

If you want more detail and bigger stage, try a different headphone. The Cascade has a fairly in your head staging, $10,000 amp won't make them feel wide.

Try a different headphone.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 19
Chasing the wrong item.

If you want more detail and bigger stage, try a different headphone. The Cascade has a fairly in your head staging, $10,000 amp won't make them feel wide.

Try a different headphone.
You are wrong. Cascade sounds completely different with stock pads and cable. I've tried a lot of other headphones and I haven't found any close to them. And my question was to find DAC/AMP with the same soundstage as BL has and with details as Signature has. BL comparing to Signature lacks in details a bit.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 19
I have a Cascade.

And a Z1R. And Empyrean. And recently D8000 Pro, Aeolus, Autuer, Verite, T5p, TH900 etc.

It's a fun headphone. IEM sort of sound. Quite V shaped, less so with the cloth pads.

But it doesn't compete against higher end cans.

New DAC/amp won't change much. New headphones will.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Hi there!
Right now I own IFI iDSD micro Black Label and Signature and use them as a desktop solution with my MacBook and Campfire Audio Cascade. I listen to electronic music(ambient, techno, idm).
Why do I like BL: it has a great soundstage and bass response as well as great details.
Why do I like Signature: this unit has much more details sacrificing soundstage comparing to BL.

A perfect device should combine these qualities such as wide soundstage and great details.
I do use headphones at home only, so I'm able to switch to a desktop DAC/AMP. It could be separate devices.
Preferably, fully balanced with 4.4mm/XLR balanced output.
My budget is around $1200. New or used doesn't matter.
I think the Chord Hugo 2 Could meet your requirement.
Excellent soundstage depth and layering, crossfeed filter is also useful to modify the stage perception.
Detail and tone definition is excellent as well, every note is very defined, from sub bass to treble.
I got mine used for €1200, if you can find it at that price I'd give it a try.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 19
I listen to electronic music(ambient, techno, idm)
I also do listen to electronic music, and have owned iFi Diablo and Chord Hugo 2, so can compare those two (on different headphones though, Abyss Diana V2, Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear). I do agree with others and would also start first with finding headphones that fit your requirements better (both price wise as well as sound wise) before changing the dac/amp. However, if you are already set on the pair of headphones and now looking into dac/amp combo only, I totally respect that and will try my best to offer you an alternative to iFi range you have already auditioned.

I've compared IFI devices. IFI iDSD micro BL, Signature and Diablo. And they all have different soundstage and details.
I found Diablo more dynamic/punchy than Hugo 2, until I added an external amplifier (BX-2 Plus), then Hugo 2 was better than Diablo on everything (for 3x the price with the external amp though). My issue with Diablo was that even though it sounded nice for music that does not have a reference in real life instruments, I did not like it for human voice (which is sometimes part of electronic music too), and the resolution/clarity as well as staging/imaging wasn't as good either.

So if you know that Hugo 2 can power your particular headphones well (it couldn't drive Diana well enough) than my recommendation would be to audition Hugo 2 next. Most likely you will have to buy used, to fit your budget, or stretch yourself a bit further to afford it new. But I think Hugo 2 could really be a contender in your comparison of what has better detail/soundstage/imaging compared to iFi dac/amps.

Hope this helps.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 19
Abyss Diana V2, Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear
Spectacular collection. I'm also a bass-head. Have no idea if planars could be bassy. I've tried some Audeze Closed and some others and haven't met good bass response. Maybe, because of IFI iDSD micro BL...

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 19
Have no idea if planars could be bassy
Depends what kind of bass you like / are used to. Planar headphones go very low and have bass tight and controlled, so not like Beats by Dre, which are pronounced, but boomy. The safest bet for bassy headphones has been dynamic drivers for years, that is very true, but if your amplification can provide enough power, than planar headphones are known to deliver a great experience. What I like about electronic music is that it does not ONLY have bass, but also some nice sparkle at the top (treble), light planar drivers will reproduce that very well (as opposed to electrostatics, who do treble perhaps better, but not the base at all).

I've tried some Audeze Closed
I haven't tried Audeze's closed, but in general I haven't found closed back headphones deliver as good music as open back. I recognise that open backs are not for everyone, especially for the office/home listening if you have roomates/family around, but if you can, you should definitely try them out. It is actually Audeze LCD2 and 3 that brought me to this hobby many years ago, originally stretched my budget to get LCD3, as I liked their mids a bit better, but then I got buyers remorse as they were double the price, so I sold and downgraded to LCD2, which was a nice headphone for a while.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 19
Hugo 2 is a great answer but not in your budget. No one else is going to sell you one for $1200 unless damaged in some way, that's a once-in-a-lifetime deal because they list at $2495. I'd suggest Liquid Platinum: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305 It's the same as the Cavalli Liquid Crimson, which was a $3000+ amp. Soundstage will definitely be better with a slight edge in clarity over the IFi. With the other $400 left in your budget go to the tube rolling thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/ and see options to upgrade the sound. *edit* damn, DAC amp. Sorry. There *is* a dedicated Liquid Platinum DAC on the website but it's sold out, and I don't trust it because I have the Liquid Gold with the built in DAC and I hate that DAC with a passion; it's dirtier than a 2 dollar hooker. I always bypass it. But the amp itself is magical, love it and the DAC i use is a pro one (UAD Apollo). I'm not that familiar with sub $400 DACs so I can't help there.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back