Detail Monsters in the $250 to $500 range
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Craigster75

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that I have found my "fun" headphone for portable use after a 6 month search, I am interested in a headphone with a very different signature- one that focuses on detailed, transparent vocals.  I had a taste of this with the Denon D600 which I though was a standout related to detail, but lacking too much in other areas.  I also really enjoy the detail and resolution of the Ultrasone Signature Pro, but am looking for something at more of a midrange pricepoint, let's say $250 to $500.  I have been reading about Shure, Mad Dogs and Hifiman as highly detailed headphones.  I would welcome suggestions on specific models.  They can be open or closed as these would be my home listening cans.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Look for a Sony SA5000. I think it's more detailed than the HE500, but the detail is more or less forced. I haven't heard the Mad Dogs, but from the days I've spent modding mine to my tastes, none of the combinations stood out as DETAILED, using my DT48 as a reference.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Look for a Sony SA5000. I think it's more detailed than the HE500, but the detail is more or less forced. I haven't heard the Mad Dogs, but from the days I've spent modding mine to my tastes, none of the combinations stood out as DETAILED, using my DT48 as a reference.

Thanks. I did a search for these and they are at the top of my budget, but Amazon recommended the MA900 as an alternative.  Any thoughts on those?

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 5
The SRH940 has been constantly referred to as one that can render details extremely well. The KRK 6400 and 8400 are top notch as well.

While the MA900 is pretty detailed, it's not as "hyper detailed" as the KRKs or Shures. I find it has a better overall sound presentation though.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
While the MA900 is pretty detailed, it's not as "hyper detailed" as the KRKs or Shures. I find it has a better overall sound presentation though.

Thanks.  When you say the MA900 is pretty detailed, can you compare the level of detail to any other headphones, open or closed, in its price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back