Detachable Stax L700. Boom.
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 24
I want to believe that all that burned off power is to remove current ripple at those high voltages. There's a hood chance I'm wrong; I definitely plan to spend some time this summer dissecting and understanding the stages and versions of the KG amps in better detail.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 24
I currently possess the modded Stax from Nelly Whads as shown in the video. It sounds really good - laid back and warm with a good amount of bass punch. I'm not sensing it's a detail monster, at least on my equipment. You CAN get some really good detail, but it depends on the recording from my experience. The quickness and speed is there but it's not aggressive in any manner. Still forming listening impressions this weekend. No form of brightness or harshness anywhere in this amp either.

Sep 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 24
TypodCrowd - I really like your Lambda mod! Just hope that it don't go BOOM!.
I have been looking for a detailed write up on this mod that addresses the "HV thing".
I am the owner of some old Stax 202 and 407 Lambdas that have cable issues from wearing out at the strain reliefs up top.
Been thinking of re-cabling, but new cable assemblies are unobtainium unless one resorts to "hacking up a Stax extension cable" route.
Also am the proud owner of a new L700, but I am not going to cut and gut it until the time comes in the distant future. I was too cheap to buy the newer MKII version.
I've got the connectors on order, now I need to figure out if I will need spacers for the old Staxen.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #21 of 24
TypodCrowd - I really like your Lambda mod! Just hope that it don't go BOOM!.
I have been looking for a detailed write up on this mod that addresses the "HV thing".
I am the owner of some old Stax 202 and 407 Lambdas that have cable issues from wearing out at the strain reliefs up top.
Been thinking of re-cabling, but new cable assemblies are unobtainium unless one resorts to "hacking up a Stax extension cable" route.
Also am the proud owner of a new L700, but I am not going to cut and gut it until the time comes in the distant future. I was too cheap to buy the newer MKII version.
I've got the connectors on order, now I need to figure out if I will need spacers for the old Staxen.
If you look at my post, there is a spoiler you can expand to a YouTube video. That mod was performed on a 207, which did not need spacers! Have a look, I think it walks you through the entire process.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #23 of 24
If I'm wrong below, please correct me:

The specifications of the 252s state the following:
●Maximum output voltage: 280 V r.m.s. / 1 kHz
●Standard bias voltage DC580 V (PRO bias)

This means that the 580V bias is held constant (with low current), and the differential signal lines (L/R +/- pairs, AC, since they're analog signal) have an RMS voltage of 280v?

From my understanding of ratings of connectors, I should be more concerned about the 280V, since that will be carrying most of the current.

Yes, the 580V is going to be there regardless of the amplifier, but that is less concerning than the output voltage, because of the current that accompanies each of those respective voltages.

Once again, please do correct me if I'm wrong. I mean no disrespect or show-boatiness.

Edit: I've been quoting 230V instead of 280V. That's on me; my apologies. Fixed in this post.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread and for the stax noob question, but even with the DC580 V, isn't that the total for both sides? Since you are splitting that to to separate terminations wouldn't it be cut in half to DC290 V; one for each cup? If so the connectors are rated for 400 Vrms so it should handle that just fine.

Jun 26, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 24
From my understanding, the bias voltage is per driver, and the current is split between the two channels (unless a WPC rating is given). I wonder if it's only getting 290V bias... I guess that would make sense given the sound signature of the amp; lower bias voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back