detachable headphone cable plug (es7)
Sep 15, 2010 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Skoobs

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning on recabling my ath-es7 cans, and want to make the cable detachable. what are possible plugs that would work for this? 

ive looked at some computer connectors that might work, but how will the connector material affect the SQ? does anyone know of another small plug? the es7 doesnt have much room...

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 16
the es7 doesnt have room for a 3.5mm headphone jack inside each cup. i would need a sennheiser-style plug.

http://www.cryo-parts.com/images/cardas_sennheiser_plug.jpg

however, i dont know if female ones are sold. if not, there must be another type of connector that will fit in the small space available on the es7.

http://th07.deviantart.com/fs30/300W/i/2008/046/0/a/Audio_Technica_ES7_by_GCTHawk7.jpg

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 16
i was going to get these and try them for my HD-555, but i dont know how they work? 

http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/Banana-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NYS508-B.xhtml?NYS508-B

i like the first link you posted though because those look like you just put the signal/ground to each plug.  it looks the same for these, but they don't have that nice coil at the end.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 16
im pretty sure that the connectors i linked are + and - signal. no ground actually attaches inside the driver. unless i am mistaken. i would prefer not to run a cable from one earpiece to another, however it would be fun to experiment with a broken pair.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
i was going to get these and try them for my HD-555, but i dont know how they work? 

http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/Banana-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NYS508-B.xhtml?NYS508-B

i like the first link you posted though because those look like you just put the signal/ground to each plug.  it looks the same for these, but they don't have that nice coil at the end.

those are banana plugs. they are NOT like the sennheiser ones. sennheiser plugs are like a cm wide, while banana plugs have a space of about an inch between the conductors. very big for this use.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 16
i wonder if i could do something creative with spades and butterfly nuts? any audiophile grade bolt/nut combo that anyone knows of? =P

other ideas:

having a plug hounted OUTSIDE the housing

having the cables detach at the Y splitter with dual mono plugs, one of which connects to the cable which would be permanently affixed to each driver housing. that would be kind of cool and creative. but not as useful =P but then again i could exchange the rest of the cable at least... for different lengths depending on what i am doing (at home, school, etc.)

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 16
yeah i just found out those banana plugs are more for speakers.  sorry.  if you ever do figure out how to do this i would love to know.  having a detachable cord would be very nice for storage, etc.  pm me if you find anything out.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 16
indeed. i wouldnt want to spend the time and money to do a nice recable if its gunna get effed up by not being able to quickly store it properly

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 16
do you know how well 3/8" heat shrink tubing will fit over 1/4" techflex and heat shrink tubing?  my recable of my hd-555 it came loose on one side where the cables meet.  i thought about getting 3/8" inch but dont know how well it will fit over the 1/4" techflex to pull it up to the wiring.  I didn't know how well it will shrink over that as well.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 16
tech flex doesnt take up that much space around a wire... about as much as heat shrink. heat shrink will shrink a MINIMUM of half its size (most are half, some are more). so if you have what you want to heat shrink, get something that is in between the same size as the diameter of what you want to heat shrink to double the size and you should be safe. you can also get heat shrink that will shrink even more. its just a little pricier. to be safe you could do that, or you could go to a local electronics shop (frys or radio shack etc) and get a package with a bunch of different sizes.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 16
First post, hope you're still looking for a solution now that I took the time registering.
biggrin.gif

I have been investigating this myself quite alot just recently and thought I'd share what I've come to think is the best connector for this. Check out the MMCX connector in this picture. It's a really tiny snap-on HF coaxial connector. Very blingy, only available in gold.

http://www.wifimove.com/UserFiles/Image/Antenna/Connector/connect_proxim_mcx_mmcx_mc-card_u_fl.jpg

There are solderable both jacks and plugs, but what I'm thinking is just buying a coax cable assembly, splitting it in half and using this wire from the y-split and up. Can use rg316 or rg179 cable which is about 2,5mm in diameter and have a 7 stranded core, so should be rather flexible. And with the tight specs on the HF gear I'm sure it'd work very well for headphone cables. I've seen sellers on ebay which ship terminated coax cables for free, and which also can make custom lengths. Was offered a 5 meter cable for $14, which should make for a cheap, flexible and good sounding 2.5 m cable if you'd wanna go coax all the way.

Hope this helps.

Edit: There are of course straight plugs that would be favorable for this purpose.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 16
nice work, man! that would make a great surface mount on the flat, outside part of the enclosure. i was looking at tiny plugs that would go in the same hole as the cable currently comes out of.

have you found a place to buy just the male and female terminals of this plug so that someone could use their own wire?

if you are planning on using coax wire, isnt good coax designed to have a resistance of 75 ohm?

EDIT: sorry i was looking at the last one. will the mmcx connector fit in the orig. hole i was looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back