detachable beyer dt770/880
Oct 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

cantsleep

Headphoneus Supremus
ive been thinking about this mod for a long time but never had a time for it.
actually, i was too lazy to do so..

anyways, i thought it would be a good idea to share the mod so..

with the mod, you will just need to replace wires; short wires for portable, balanced for balanced, and long ones for distant listening.

and here is the picture, just for 880
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 27
i cant say how they sound yet. i havent listened to it yet.
ill have to save that for later, when i get back home from work.

ive thought about using other plugs but 3.5 is the easiest to find.
and with 3.5mm, you can pretty much ask any of diyers or cable company for a replacement/upgrade so..

i used pin1 on the plug(left or tip) for the signal and ground for ground.
i bought 2pairs of same headphone and used the right cups, ones that dont have any holes, and drilled holes.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

i bought 2pairs of same headphone and used the right cups, ones that dont have any holes, and drilled holes.

Ha-ha, nice move. What you've done to another pair? Double entry hardwired?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 27
I saw recently (here) where someone did this using RCA female jacks on each earcup, which seems like it would be a little sturdier than the mini-plugs -- sometimes their tips like to break off.
It looks good, though, and it is a good idea for switching cables.
I like the Ultrasone PRO series' ability to switch cables, too.
Plug-in cables should be the norm.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you need XLR for balanced?

no, you can wire a balanced signal through pretty much any 2 or 3 connector plug (per channel, depending what your doing...) you run into problems of convention when you use better plugs than XLR's so people dont.

for a headphone you only need 2 connectors per channel.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 27
If I was more talented, I'd probably do something similar to every headphone I get. Direct to driver soldering with improved wiring, and then some type of detachable cable at the cup (would help with storing and portability). Being able to use cables of various lengths would be a big positive as well.

The DT770 Pros I had had terrible internal wiring in my opinion. This type of thing would be very beneficial for single entry headphones (the one on the W1000s I have now is not very good).

Really, it wouldn't be that difficult, especially for people who already do recables. The pain would be drilling the hole and finding a suitable connector to use. Then you could use two lower end amps (there was someone who basically did that with two Mini3s). The source might be difficult, but I think the E-MU 0404 USB might capable of balanced output (although it probably wouldn't be all that good).

Wasn't it popular a little while back to use dual Darkvoice 336i to feed a balanced K701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back