Destroying E2Cs
May 10, 2007 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

portmaster1000

New Head-Fier
In the 2 years of my E2Cs warranty, I've had to have them replaced 5 times. Shure replaced them the last time even though they were a week past the 2 year mark - props to Shure
biggrin.gif
. Each time one of the earphones have suddenly stopped producing sound with no kind of visible damage.

While it's possible that I've had 5 defective pair, it's very unlikely. I'd like to figure out what I'm doing to destroy these things. I use them almost exclusively for exercising. After intense sessions, I notice moisture inside the each earphone. Of course, I know moisture and electronics don't mix but is this buildup killing my earphones? I try to let them dry out before putting them back in the case.

If the exercising is the culprit what options do I have for protecting this last pair (besides NOT exercising
tongue.gif
)? Are there other types of IEMs better suited for these types of workouts?

thanx
PM1K

May 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 18
I had E2s for about 1 year and used them for exercising and lawn work with no probs. same ear blow our every time? I NEVER use the case for fear of damaging the cord. My opinion is that all of that winding isn't good for the cord so I just sort of gently hand wind them and set them on the table

May 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 18
I dont know specifically what happened to yours, but I had problems with the e2c cable, if you dont treat it like a baby it seems to break....

May 10, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had E2s for about 1 year and used them for exercising and lawn work with no probs. same ear blow our every time? I NEVER use the case for fear of damaging the cord. My opinion is that all of that winding isn't good for the cord so I just sort of gently hand wind them and set them on the table

Personally, I use the Westone carrying case for my Shure earphone, since it's bigger, the cable can be more "relaxed" :p

May 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 18
Who knows? Just my opinion that winding them with tension on that spool case doesn't seem good for the cord. Try not winding them in the case & see what happens. Even though bad shure cables is somewhat common, I would agree that it isn't likely that you received 5 faulty pairs

May 10, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 18
confused.gif

Had mine for 2 years now so just out of warranty. Nowadays used every night for an hour or so - used to be much more when they were my only phones. Always used the case, never had problems as described above...lucky I guess.

May 10, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 18
I had my E2s for over a year using the supplied case and never had a problem with them. You may have just been really unlucky.

May 11, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 18
I am amazed that Shure keep replacing them - Fantastic Customer Service.

May 16, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you by any chance use an iPod? There were reports a while back about Nanos destroying one channel of earphones...

Rick

Ipod mini 4G. Any reports of that type having similar problems?

thanx
PM1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back