Destroy my iBuds contest!
Sep 6, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #151 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

I was wondering how long it would take before the sledge hammers or steam rollers started to show up!

Good stuff!

4 more entries and I will add a new prize to the prize package.

I was shocked that I was the first sledge hammer, and thence decided that sledge alone was not enough...

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #152 of 162
I'm trying to find my buds, I fear I threw them all out! Perhaps it's time to sacrifice the zune buds? How about those headphones you get when you fly jetblue?

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #156 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryosphinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my entry.

Oh man! I was completely convinced that you were going to eat the meal you prepared. I was waiting on the edge of my seat for you to consume those iBuds with a pair of chop sticks. That would have been so freakin' punk rock!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Disclaimer: Don't eat your iBuds, that would be very dangerous!

At any rate, good work and thanks for your entry!

As a reminder:
Less than 5 days left to submit your entry!

tick, tock... tick, tock...

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #158 of 162
Up for one last look.

This is your last chance to submit an entry and perhaps unlock some more prizes to be added to the prize package, as the deadline is tonight at midnight EST.

If by some miracle 4 more entries are submitted by midnight tonight, I will be adding another prize to the prize package.

So for the procrastinators who intended to submit an entry but haven't yet, now is the time do 'git her done'!

icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #159 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teaser pics....

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Enjoy...

what camera are you using??? those pictures look incredible!

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #160 of 162
[size=large]Announcement![/size]

This contest has officially ended and entry submissions will no longer be accepted.

[size=medium]Vote for your favorite here![/size]

The poll will run for one week, and then the grand prize winner and a runner up will be announced. Since there were so few entires, I have decided to not whittle it down to 5 submissions, instead I am rewarding all of those who took the time and effort to enter the contest a chance to win by including all entries in the poll! Good luck everyone!

A few comments:
I decided to run this contest with the hope that the Head-Fi community would have some fun with it, and offer everyone interested a chance to win some nice prizes. For this contest I decided to do something a bit different by not revealing the prizes at the beginning of the contest, and instead introduce prizes as the contest progressed based directly upon the number of entries submitted. I envisioned this contest going down in Head-Fi history! "Surely there would be at least over 100 entries" I thought to myself. I mean this contest has Head-Fi written all over it - destroy a pair of iBuds (or any old pair of buds you have laying around) and win some cool stuff. I couldn't imagine how a large percentage of the Head-Fi community could resist.

Boy was I wrong. Out of 5,000+ thread views, only 10 entries in total were submitted, which to be honest is kind of shocking and a bit mind boggling to me. I am trying to figure out what I could have done differently that would have encouraged more people to enter. The only thing I can come up with is that I didn't reveal the prizes at the beginning of the contest, so all people could do is merely guess at what prizes would be added as more entries were submitted. So as a result, there apparently wasn't enough incentive to motivate more people to enter, even though I promised that the prizes would get progressively nicer as more and more entries were submitted.

My best guess is that being human holds most people to the idea of wanting to take the 'path of least resistance'. If I just posted all of the prizes at the beginning of the contest and just said 'come leave a post in this thread and win some stuff' I am certain the entries would have been overwhelming. At any rate, lesson learned. If I ever throw a 'Destroy my iBuds contest, part 2" I will be sure to reveal the prizes at the beginning of the contest in order to generate more interest, and offer a better incentive for submitting creative entries.

Thanks to all who entered! I hope you had fun with this contest, as I know I sure did.

So now that the contest is over, I suppose I can reveal my prize package addition plan, as I originally had it laid out from the beginning of the contest:

Zero entries: Problem -> Solved Headphone T-Shirt
1 Entry: 2 pairs of iBuds, 1 for winner, 1 for runner up. Koss Klipz
5 Entries: 1 pair of Grado Flat pads.
10 Entries: iRiver 512m player for winner, iRiver 256m player for runner up.
15 Entries: KOSS KSC-75, JVC Marshmallows, 25 foot 1/4 female to 1/4 male headphone extension cable, 2 pairs of banana plugs.
25 Entries: Custom made headphone stand made by yours truly.
35 Entries: 1 Silver 1GB 2nd gen iPod shuffle.
50 Entries: 1 Pair of Equation Audio RP-21s.
100 Entries: 1 Pair of Denon D1000s.
150 Entries: PSP with 1GB and 2GB memory cards, 2 games, car charger, wall adaptor, desktop movie stand/charger and hard protective case.
200+ Entries: Grado SR-225 for grand prize winner, Grado SR-60s for runner-up.
500+ entries: ?

Donated prize(s):
2 pairs of Maximo iM-390 iMetal Isolation Earphones

P.S. I was surprised to not see any entries where iBuds were fed to a goat, run over with a steam roller, or microwaved. I thought those entries would be a given.
icon10.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #161 of 162
I too am surprised, but I think the notion of actually having to DO something puts some people off. There's also the "well, my entry won't beat any of those without immense effort, so I won't bother" effect, after a few good early entries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back