Desperation Mod of Sony 51s
Jun 12, 2005 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

phong

Head-Fier
Okay it is sorta more of a repair than a mod but still. Well here is what happened. My Shure E2c's broke (second time, so it is in service/repair), my other pair of Sony MDR-EX51's got ran over by about 4-6 cars (bought as a replacement for an older pair of broken EX51's which are modded below), and I have not ordered my Shure E4's yet (waiting for the black E4's) . . . so I got desperate. All I had was a pair of broken Sony MDR-EX51's in which the miniplug was broken so I get intermittent sound; very annoying! Well, the 51s had no tips because they got lost, so all I had was size S Foamies that came with my old broken E2c's (the first pair before my replacement which eventually broke, gosh I have terrible luck). As for a replacement miniplug, all I had was a crappy 6' radio shack mini to mini interconnect cable, so I had to use that.

I cut the cable of the 51s and had to burn the enamels off the wires so I could solder it. Then cut and stripped the cable off the radio shack cable. Then soldered it (red to red, green (sony) to black, then ground), it was a pain because the sony wire was refusing to cooperate . . . but it all worked out and had a bunch of electrical tape over it. Surprisingly, sound was heard! And putting it in my ears, I don't know if it was because I had broken 51s for so long but it sounded pretty good (probably because of the foamies). As for the foamies, good thing they barely fitted on the 51s, and could fit into my ears fine, just not as deep. Hey . . . I was really desperate for earphones for the time being. Here are some pics:

1.jpg

yeah I know its sorta weird to have thin cables becoming thick ones.

2.jpg

3.jpg

massive electrical tape

4.jpg

with my iPod

Can't wait to order the E4s. Too bad I didnt go to the UE tour trip, coulda gotten myself free Super.fi 5 Pro's
frown.gif
oh well it wasn't meant to be.

Phong

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Instead of electrical tape, you should try some heatshrink to avoid the awkward lump there.

Thanks Sinbios. I should have, but all I had was the electrical tape and yah the lump is a bit annoying and a pain to look at but I can live with it
tongue.gif
. I did what I could with whatever I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back