Desperately looking for info on Noise-Cancelling Headphones (for blocking out noise)
May 18, 2007 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nibbler1

New Head-Fier
Hello all. First time poster. I'm told you guys are the best guys to ask this question so I am very excited to hear your replies.

Okay so first I just want to quickly explain why I'm looking for noise-cancelling headphones. I get annoyed by sounds extremely easily and listening to unwanted noises really stress me out. This includes the "clicking" noises from a DVD player while watching a movie to hearing the faintest of booming bass from someone else. I am planning on going back to school come Sept which means I will have to either live on campus or live in a near by appartment. Having gone to school for three years and living on the campus residence I know how stressed I get when I am forced to hear someones bass (even if it's way off in the distant). In fact I would go as far as saying that listening to other peoples booming bass completely ruined my time at college for all three years. So needless to say this is a very large problem for me.

So I was thinking of purchasing noise cancelling headphones to try to solve this problem. This means I'll be using these headphones for both TV (including movies) and PC (music). From doing a little research I have seen claims such as "more that 65% noise reduced" or "up to 70% noise reduced". I'm starting to wonder if I'm fooling myself into thinking noise-cancelling headphones are the savior I am hoping they are? My main worry is due to me actually being bothered by slight noises more so that "in your face noises". An example of this would be I'd prefer listening to the fridge turn on and off or listening to airplanes fly over head versus (again) the sound of bass from someone's music. Would noise-cancelling headphones COMPLETELY (100%) eliminate these types of noises while wearing noise cancelling headphones?

Also, because I'm in a bit of a unique reasoning for wanting them, I'm wondering how I would go by finding out which ones are the absolute best simply for noise cancellation? Sound quality and especially comfort (because I'll more than likely be wearing them all day long) are also important of course, but blocking out other noises is 100 times more important. I was looking at the Logitech Noise Canceling Headphones simply because it specifically says that they are good at blocking out low noises (for blocking out other people's music bass). And I like the style that fit over your ears because that's added protection against other noises. But if you have other suggestions I would be more then happy to listen to them. Perhaps you'll say that overall the ones that you stick way down into your ear (I believe they are called IEMs) will overall cancel out more noise? Or perhaps studio style headphones will block more noise? I really don't know.

Because this is a serious problem for myself money is not so much an issue but I think keeping it at around $200 US is reasonable. Thank you so much for any help you can bring me!
3000smile.gif

May 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 21
Noise cancelling headphones won't work for what you need. They are basically programmed to identify certain frequencies as "background noise" while trying to determine what is *not* just background noise. They also only eliminate background noises, which means anything that's odd and not uniquely identifiable, aren't eliminated, and sometimes even more amplified depending on the quality of the headphones.

Commonly known "background noise" like road noise, airplane engine, is blocked much better than the uncommon noises. Especially the ones you mentioned here. You need noise "blocking" headphones rather than noise cancelling. There aren't any "100%" blocking headphones either. Some amount of noise will always get through, just a question of frequency & amount.

May 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 21
With your budget and what you are looking to accomplish I'd recommend either a new pair of Shure E4C or used Westone UM2. Both are IEM's and will be very comfortable and block far more outside noise than anything over the ear.

Edit - If you are willing to spend more you can get more but I'd say start small and order from someone like earphone solutions, Headroom or TTVJ so you can return the item if you are not pleased.

May 19, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the replies so far. Two replies ... one says I need "noise blocking" headphones while the other say I need IEMs. heh

In regards to the "noise blocking" headphone style, which specific models/brands would you recommend? How do I know if the headphones are noise blocking or not? How good of a job do noise blocking headphones block out unwanted sounds (% wise and vesus IEMs)?

As for the IEMs, do certain IEMs block out more noise than others? I just had a quick look at Futureshop's website (yes I live in Canada) and it looks like there's two Shure models E2C for $100 CDN and E4C-N-EFS for $350. Right now I'm using a cheap pair of KOSS headphones so (again) quality is not nearly as important as the ability to block out noise. Also, are IEMs really as comfortable as headphones for using them for 5+ hours at a time? I've never used IEMs before but I can't imagine they are all that comfortable for use over extended periods of time.

Thanks again for the replies and please keep the replies coming.

May 19, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 21
search on athanc7 for a review thread of this new headphone. I have had one for about a month now. I do enjoy it at work.

May 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 21
I've tried the Shures and the UEs, and none of them block for me as effectively as the Etymotic ER4(s/p). There's just something about the way they fit for me. Of course IEMs are a very personal thing.

I've tried damn near all the active noise cancellation out there. The Etys blow them all away - for me.

GAD

May 19, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 21
A noise "blocking" headphone is just a headphone that stops outside noise from reaching your ears. An active noise-canceling headphone attempts to "listen" to background noise, and then produce an inverted wave, effectively canceling out the noise. Unfortunately, noise-canceling technology isn't that good, and has a hard time filtering out sudden odd noises (as lindrone said). IEMs are a subset of noise "blocking" headphones, and are generally considered to outperform any "canceling" headphone in terms of sound isolation. I don't have experience with any specific IEMs, but there are plenty of fine options within your budget. I would personally take a look at the Shure SE210 (a new 2007 model which got very good reviews) and the Etymotic 6i, both of which retail for around $150 US.

Edit: IEMs also block more sound than a studio-type closed headphone, which is why everyone is recommending them. Can't speak to comfort, but I imagine the foam sleeves aren't so bad.

May 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 21
IEMs are the way to go. Unfortunately, some people don't find them to be that comfortable (like me, I have never gotten used to wear them). However, they are the best for blocking out the outside world (in fact, you should be careful not too get runover by a car or bus while walking around city streets).
You could try getting some cheap foam earplugs at the nearest convenience store and wear those around for a day or so. If they don't bother you too much, IEMs will probably be good for you. A lot of people like the foam sleeves. I like the Ety's tri-flange myself (for some reason they feel "softer" to me).

I would recommend getting the Etymotic ER6i or ER6. They are not very expensive and will do the trick! Also, the Er6i/Er6 I think are better than the ER4S (in one way) because the cord will not make noise when rubbing across your shirt (microphonics of the cord are less) like some IEMs.

Then again, you could TRY to get by with a closed set of headphones. If you music is playing (loud enough), you won't hear much from the outside world. It all depends of course, how tightly the headphones fit on your head. They won't be as good as IEMs but are more comfortable in my opinion. I have some Beyerdynamic 770's and they work great to cancel out the outside world. They are extremely comfortable as well!!!

May 20, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 21
You could check out one of the Beyer DT770 series that have almost 20 db of passive noise reduction. These sound very good and have future upgrade possibilities from head

May 20, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 21
x2 on the IEMs block most noise out.

In case you're not the IEM-type, I just saw this on the Sennheiser website:

pxc450_normal.jpg

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=500643

Why I would get this if I already didn't have my QC2 for air travel (I don't like IEMs in planes):

1. Sennheiser says it's audiophile quality; I trust it
2. looks very comfortable
3. works without batteries unlike my Bose
4. foldable
5. looks darn cool

May 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the IEMs block most noise out.

In case you're not the IEM-type, I just saw this on the Sennheiser website:

pxc450_normal.jpg

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=500643

Why I would get this if I already didn't have my QC2 for air travel (I don't like IEMs in planes):

1. Sennheiser says it's audiophile quality; I trust it
2. looks very comfortable
3. works without batteries unlike my Bose
4. foldable
5. looks darn cool

waay overpriced for HD555 SQ. If they cut the price in half..I might consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back