Desperate! Need a can in 3 days!
Mar 27, 2003 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gouki

Head-Fier
Hi people,

A couple of years ago I bought my first headphones, Senn 570 and thought they were excellent (for movies, QUAKE3 and music from my PC). Highs were a little "high". They were not too good for my CD player (not loud enough). The shops had the 590s, but the 570 was as much as I can afford at that time.

Later, I got the e2270, closed headphones, which weren't bad, but I bought it because I wanted something to use with my portables (one of them is the SONY CLIE which I carry around a lot these days). It was a little better than the Senn 570, but not outstanding. Bass seems stronger on it

I'm currently in Singapore (so would appreciate advices from SGers as well :) ), so there are quite a number of phones for sale here :

- A. Technicas
- Beyers
- AKG
- Senn (500 - 590)
- Sony (from low levels to the DJ7000v or something like that)
- Teac
- Phillips

I left my phones at home (Australia), so I missed them terribly. Now I want to buy another one, but not sure which one I should get.

Firstly, I want to get a pair of open (or even semi closed) headphones of which I can use with my SONY CLIE (or other portables) without an AMP. I'll be using them while travelling (train and sometimes plane). Is there such a phone or shall I stick to closed phones?

I am going to Japan, and so I will eventually like to get another pair for my computer (to play games, movies, music). It would probably be the wireless type from SONY.

However, if someone can recommend me a phone :

- which can play on portables (PDAs, CD players, Notebook) without an AMP
- that can provide good quality sound from the computer (for movies, games and music)
- that is of the Senn 500-600 type (ie. soft ear covers covering the whole ear)

Then I will probably use this phone for everything (portable and home use).

My heart is on another Senn (like the 580 or 590), but apparently, they won't play on portables well.

I've heard some good stuff about the SONY MDR7506, I don't know what they're called in Singapore.

I have seen some really cool looking phones from Pioneer (looks like DJ phones to me), are they all flash and no substance?

Now, because I'm leaving for Japan, should I wait and get a nice Sony cans from there?

Sorry for the long request. Its my first time on a hi-fi forum, I'm not sure what to expect. I also don't know much about headphones except from reading some of it on the internet. I wish I discovered it 2 years ago though :)

Mar 27, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 7
So you are going to Japan in 3 days? I would certainly wait until I go there before I buy. As for portable, something closed or at least semiclosed would be recommended. If you can try out the Sony D66 over there you really should, they work great unamped out of a portable. You'd probably be able to walk away with a pair of these for about $75. If you don't mind something bigger look at AT:s closed cans, they're starting to get quite a following in this forum.

Mar 27, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 7
The Sennheiser HD580 would be too much for your portables to drive. I don't see why you couldn't use the HD590, though, which is lower impedance and more efficient so it's a great match for portables. Very comfy too by all accounts so you might look into those some more...

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Gouki
Hi people,

A couple of years ago I bought my first headphones, Senn 570 and thought they were excellent (for movies, QUAKE3 and music from my PC). Highs were a little "high". They were not too good for my CD player (not loud enough). The shops had the 590s, but the 570 was as much as I can afford at that time.

Later, I got the e2270, closed headphones, which weren't bad, but I bought it because I wanted something to use with my portables (one of them is the SONY CLIE which I carry around a lot these days). It was a little better than the Senn 570, but not outstanding. Bass seems stronger on it

I'm currently in Singapore (so would appreciate advices from SGers as well :) ), so there are quite a number of phones for sale here :

- A. Technicas
- Beyers
- AKG
- Senn (500 - 590)
- Teac
- Phillips

I left my phones at home (Australia), so I missed them terribly. Now I want to buy another one, but not sure which one I should get.

Firstly, I want to get a pair of open (or even semi closed) headphones of which I can use with my SONY CLIE (or other portables) without an AMP. I'll be using them while travelling (train and sometimes plane). Is there such a phone or shall I stick to closed phones?

I am going to Japan, and so I will eventually like to get another pair for my computer (to play games, movies, music). It would probably be the wireless type from SONY.

- that can provide good quality sound from the computer (for movies, games and music)

My heart is on another Senn (like the 580 or 590), but apparently, they won't play on portables well.

I've heard some good stuff about the SONY MDR7506, I don't know what they're called in Singapore.

I have seen some really cool looking phones from Pioneer (looks like DJ phones to me), are they all flash and no substance?

Now, because I'm leaving for Japan, should I wait and get a nice Sony cans from there?

Sorry for the long request. Its my first time on a hi-fi forum, I'm not sure what to expect. I also don't know much about headphones except from reading some of it on the internet. I wish I discovered it 2 years ago though :)

Almost all Sony headphones are more sensitive than other brands.

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Gouki
Hi people,

- A. Technicas
- Beyers
- AKG
- Senn (500 - 590)
- Teac
- Phillips

Try a Sony MDR-580 or 780 for starters.

Mar 28, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi,

Thanks guys.

I guess what I really need is something to play with my PDA/MP3 on the road. I travel a lot, and prefer to listen to music/dialogue while travelling.

I love Senn. but I'm going to japan so I have limited my choices to these :

1. Get the Senn. 590, which runs on portables no problem right?

2. I prefer bigger headphones, earbuds fall out of my ears and the "around-the-side-of-the-head" type are uncomfortable. The Senn. 570s are very very comfortable, would like something similar in design.

3. Get something else when I'm in Japan.

I will probably get 2 phones (one for one the road, and a wireless one) as I'm a fan of wireless phones (I have 2 Sony wireless).

Again, thanks for your help and assistance. Apparently, phones in Japan are pretty cheap, perhaps cheaper than Singapore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back