Desperate call for advice
Aug 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falkek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a place where I can get the SR325i for the same price as the HD650... What do you guys recommend?

*Edit; The HF-2 and the ESW10 aren't anywhere to be found in the Netherlands

No matter how you amp them IMHO the HD650 will never be "proper" heavy metal phones. Any Grado has more impact, substance and sheer aggressiveness than the Senns. However I'd be cautions with the 325. I haven't listened to them, but many comments posted in this and other forums describe them as being a bit bright, which depending on your own taste can result in a fatiguing sound.
I don't see the problem buying from overseas. Most of my gear comes from outside Europe. However it'd be great that you listened some of the suggested cans, so your purchase would have more probabilities to be spot on your needs.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, an amped Denon seems a likely best choice for you.

Ok, I'm still clueless here so this might be a dumb question; Isn't a DAC better for use with my sound card?

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Ok, I'm still clueless here so this might be a dumb question; Isn't a DAC better for use with my sound card?

I just assumed you were considering this: sound card > amp > Denon.

If you're budget can afford it, then you more likely would prefer this: sound card line out > better sounding DAC than your sound card > amp > Denon.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 52
Well if I buy a Grado there won't be, most likely, any money left for a amp/dac. Lets put it like this;

U got $700, you want the best sound possible, what would you buy? ;p

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 52
Denon D2000 or Sennheiser HD650. The HD650 do not have the same bass extension as the D2000s, however they are still very lovely headphones. I'd pair one of these up with a tube amp.

A lot of people get the D2000s and swap out the cable. I recommend doing so!

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Well if I buy a Grado there won't be, most likely, any money left for a amp/dac. Lets put it like this;

U got $700, you want the best sound possible, what would you buy? ;p

What would your Denon of choice cost you? I would pick up the D2000 for maybe $250 and mod it, but that has little to do with your budget.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 52
Hmm this is getting harder every minute ;p
My Denon of choice would prolly be the D2000 as this is the easiest to get here in the Netherlands. But in what way would you mod it if I may ask?

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 52
If you went the Denon D200, then you could probably also get an Amp and DAC (or combo)

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Hmm this is getting harder every minute ;p
My Denon of choice would prolly be the D2000 as this is the easiest to get here in the Netherlands. But in what way would you mod it if I may ask?

I would probably markl mod it, amp it, and run it from my XS71 sound card.

I suggest searching and reading what others have done.
Google "markl D2000". For an amp, search the amp forum for "D2000".

The more patient you are and the more you research, the more sure of your decision you should eventually become.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back