Desktop vs. Portable: Can the two be compared?
Mar 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
So after spending many an hour researching my first amp purchase I've found very few comparisons between portable and desktop amp/dac combos.
While this seems to make sense I was wondering whether someone could possibly explain the differences.
So far I've concluded that sound quality can be very similar but power is the big trade off.
Portability is obviously a big plus is buying a single amp but if, for example, I was trying to power K501's, am I going to find it difficult with something like the iBasso d10?
I'm going to pose the same question in the full-size subforum and see what sort of answers I get there.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter,
NICK

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 35
It depends upon the phones used. I still don't have a portable to match my modified Woo 6.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 35
take a read through this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/l...-silly-374155/

there are some members who believe that good portable amp can replace a home amp - and there are some member believe that portable amps are rubbish and should not be used at all, and there are some members sitting on the fence saying that portable amps have their uses, but not even close to being as good as dedicated home amps.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 35
This is one of those things where you need to use the best tool for the job. I think portables and desktop amps both have their place.

For a beginning audiophile looking for entry level equipment, everyone has to start somewhere...and a good portable amp is better than no amp at all.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 35
I'm having a similar dilemma as well. Would love to upgrade to the D10 but am considering others around the same price range but desktop..Travagans White or the Audiogd-Compass. Portability isn't such an issue for me, more concerned with reducing desk clutter.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 35
Portable amps have their use. But SQ wise, Id go for the desktop setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyp007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But unless you really need portability, I think you can get a better amp for the same amount of money.

This is the beginning of the argument against a portable for people just getting into Head-Fi. Unless you are "out and about" all the time, settle for the desktop amp. Your dollar will go a lot further.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 35
The only problem with desktop amps is that they tend to be more expensive and require seperate regulated power supply. Its really hard to get a diy desktop amp with the p/s for $100, not so much with portable.

Another way to look at is its comparing class A to class B as most if not all portable amps are class B.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Lisa III with LLp for use when you are at home is about as close as you are going to get to desktop performance out of a portable amp. But can still be bettered by some home amps with some HP's

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 35
There are some portable amps which sound like solid state home amps which are ~$100 cheaper.

Some that come to mind:
iQube (knock off ~$150)
Lisa III (knock off ~$200)
Pico
P-51 Mustang

Any of those can be used as at home amps if you are using relatively low load,and doesn't need a ton of current. Audio technica comes to mind. Granted, my P-51 Mustang can push the CD1000, it just falls short on power output. Those cans need a TON of current and cannot reach their potential without it. They sound thin and nasty when improperly amped which is why i think most people have the impression that they have no bass. Trust me people, they can put out some serious bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back