Desktop Upgrade
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 2005 Desktop amp (12/12/2005 build) with Home electronics module + Home DAC powered by a DPS. It looks like sometime in 2006 the Home electronics & DAC modules were both improved to use diamond buffers and increased Class-A bias.

I'm thinking of trying out the Denon AH-D5000 as a complement or possible replacement for my Senn HD650. I'm hoping my amp as currently configured is good enough to make the D5000 perform close to its full potential (phone mods non-withstanding). I'll find out soon enough.

FWIW, my source is Apple lossless via optical out.

I am also considering upgrading to the Max electronics module, which I'm guessing would be around $500. Does it make sense to go this route without also upgrading to a higher quality DAC? I realize that diminishing returns come into play at some point, but I want to know if using the pre-2006 Home DAC will limit the benefits of moving up to the Max electronics module.

The upgrade is non-refundable, so I want to solicit as much advice as possible before making a decision.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 2
Anyone???

I'm specifically using HD650 and Denon D2000/D5000 headphones. What improvements could I expect?

I have my desktop combo up for sale but am strongly considering keeping it now that I'm coming back to this hobby. Falling in love with the music again...glad I finally discovered Porcupine Tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back