Desktop + Ultra Portable or Full Size Laptop for College?
Apr 10, 2006 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Squibbles

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm off to College in September. Currently, I've decided to get a Desktop [AMD 64 3500+ , 19" LCD , 250 GB Hard Drive , 1 GB Ram] and an Ultra Portable Laptop [10" - 12" Screen]. The desktop will be used for more intensive applications and games while the ultra portable will be taken to class and the library, etc.

Would you guys think that's a good idea? Or should I just get a full size 14" - 15" laptop?

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 39
If you put your money together for both rigs, you can put together an excellent laptop that can perform nearly just as well a a desktop.

Keep a lookout for the barebones MSI-1039 AMD Turion notebook with the Radeon X1600 built in. It starts at $925 and you can choose the parts to put in the laptop such as the CPU, RAM, and the hard drive to fit your needs.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 39
Oh man, I didn't think about moving to and fro.

I've decided to scrap the idea of both a desktop and laptop.

What's a good laptop for school under $1500? I rarely play games. And if I do it's a popcap game or age of empires II. Mostly, the laptop will be used to watch videos, listen to music, take notes, word processing, internet, etc etc.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 39
Hi, i like my solution: a 14 inch 4.7 pound laptop that's large enought to type with, and powerful enought for work: the IBM T42. The new T43 should be able to easily handle games and such.
actually, there have been at least 3-5 threads like this since decemeber...try to see how they ended up...
Also try the T60, it has a duocore processor and 666mhz memory!

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
Well, I'm off to College in September. Currently, I've decided to get a Desktop [AMD 64 3500+ , 19" LCD , 250 GB Hard Drive , 1 GB Ram] and an Ultra Portable Laptop [10" - 12" Screen]. The desktop will be used for more intensive applications and games while the ultra portable will be taken to class and the library, etc.

Would you guys think that's a good idea? Or should I just get a full size 14" - 15" laptop?

Thanks.

I would still consider going with both.

You will enjoy having a desktop when you want to watch movies on something besides a 14" screen. The laptop's that perform as well as the desktops are too heavy to be carry around much, and don't have good enough battery life. I'd go with a desktop thats not very fancy (new Mobo, smallish HDD, good Ram, not top of the line Processor), so you can upgrade the processor/ram/HDD in 2 years and have a up-to-date computer again. If you dont game, then the this should keep you happy for all four years.

The laptop is useful for projects/studying anywhere outside of your dorm room, but you probably won't need much power. A $600-700 laptop should keep you satisfied for four years (Don't add much on except maybe extra RAM).

I had a laptop for 2 years and recently got a desktop, so now I have both, and its working well for me. Maybe thats an option for you too?

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 39
I have a 15.4" laptop (Acer 8104 2GHz Pentium M 1GB ram 100GB HDD) and a small form factor Desktop (AMD 3700, 1GB, 600GB HDD) which I have networked in my apartment.

I never take class notes so the laptop rarely goes anywhere, it mostly just sits next to my bed plugged into my Total Bithead so I can spend untold hours lying here in my bed listening to music or surfing the web. When I feel like I take it to the living room and plug it into my Sony HDTV via DVI and watch content stored on my desktop.

I used to use the laptop for class notes before I got heavy into physics, and to be honest I'd rather carry around this laptop (~6lb) than an ultraportable because this is very comfortable to type on. Plus it's easier on the eyes than an ultraportable.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 39
desktop for me! I cant stand laptops... they are too small and cramped. Get a real mans computer
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 39
Wait for the new Apple 12" MacBook or MacBook Pro. I'm really excited over it, and it'll be pretty much a desktop replacement, considering it has the X1600, dual-core processor, etc. The educational discount can be a large amount as well.

As well, now you can run Windows on it! Which is a major plus. Networking with a Mac is always the most hassle-free experience you'll ever get too.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 39
Just get a Dell XPS M170 notebook. Near top of the line desktop performance with portability. It's obviously not the most fashionable choice, hey, can't have everything.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 39
I was planning to get the new MacBook, but after some thinking and testing, I've decided that I will never be able to get used to an Apple. At least not now. So I'm sticking with Windows. Even with Bootcamp, it still doesn't give 100% compatibility.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
I was planning to get the new MacBook, but after some thinking and testing, I've decided that I will never be able to get used to an Apple. At least not now. So I'm sticking with Windows. Even with Bootcamp, it still doesn't give 100% compatibility.

How does it not? It's the actual Windows OS, no emulation or anything. Any Windows program will work on it. And Macs can use 2-button mice, or right-click.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 39
I had a similar problem. I live in a very small apartment in the Village and am going to NYU, so I needed something both very powerful and very portable. I got a MacBook Pro and it solved all my problems. I was running an AMD64 Gentoo workstation previous to that, and had an iBook for taking notes on. I got the MacBook and basically got the portability of the iBook and the power of the workstation in one. I'm happy with my decision.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 39
Wait. I've been thinking that bootcamp was just emulation.. ? My main reason for still wanting Windows is for Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations, and Popcap Games. Haha! Will bootcamp run those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back