Desktop system
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SCHodge

New Head-Fier
I was looking at putting together a desktop system for work, as my Audioengine2's aren't getting much use for fear of disturbing the neighboring offices.

I'm probably going to do Senn 650's - maybe AKG 701/702's. I also have an external USB dac on the way, so I don't need an amp with a DAC.

What are the options for a sub-$300 amp? Many of the solid-state ones I see in that price range are battery powered; I want something AC powered.

The Littledot and Dark Voice tube stuff looks tempting, but the amp would be on my desk, behind an LCD monitor (and next to a laptop docking station), next to a wall and underneath a bookshelf (about 2.5 feet above the desk surface, maybe more). There's more air space there than it may sound like, but I'm worried about heat from a tube amp, not to mention the better-than-solid-state possibility of it blowing up, catching fire, and burning down the whole building. And getting me fired.

Still, I'd prefer richness over detail in this installation... I do a fair amount of listening to internet radio stations, so some euphonic colorations wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Thanks!

Shayne

PS Something with both inputs and outputs (to run to the Audioengines) would be best.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't heard it myself but from everything I've read about it, the Graham Slee Novo is supposed to be hard to beat for the money @ $400. Even more so since the GBP to USD ratio has come down to what I believe now would equate to $307 and change as I type, verify that USD @ 200 GBP.

It's a discrete class A headphone amp. It has pass through RCA out's.I have a Green Solo and I thought that was relatively small ( guessing at maybe 4"x6" ), the Novo is even smaller. There's a thread here on a loaner program, and the RockGrotto thread is the most extensive at 20 pages.

Well worth checking it out. I'll let the threads speak for themselves since I. myslef haven't heard it yet. I do intend on getting one to keep it's big brother company.

Good luck on your choice

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - Beta Novo Amp In The House!

http://www.gspaudio-community.active...p?TID=222&PN=8

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions. Out of curiosity, I've seen posting on the temperatures of the LittleDots, has anyone taken readings of the Dark Voice or perhaps could just throw out a ballpark for how much heat they generate?

Shayne

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Its just a bit above your price point (at about $400 shipped) but the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S Caliente is worth taking a look at. Its a solid state amp that pairs pretty nicely with the HD650's (thats the combo I'm using right now). Check out Skylab's review for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back