Desktop System Questions
Mar 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sludgeogre

500+ Head-Fier
I have been spending every available cent going from a crappy 50 dollar set of Logitech PC speakers to a quality stereo system with headphone option. I have not yet incorporated the headphone side, but I am happy with my current stereo setup:

Computer --> Spotify Premium --> Schiit Modi --> Audiosource Amp 100 --> MartinLogan MLT-1 speakers
                                             (via split RCA)  --> MartinLogan MLT-1 Powered Subwoofer

I plan to incorporate an Asgard 2 in the following way, once funds allow:

--> Sennheiser HD598 or HD650
Computer --> Spotify Premium --> Schiit Modi --> Schiit Asgard 2 --> Audiosource Amp 100 --> MartinLogan MLT-1 speakers
                                                                         (via split RCA)  --> MartinLogan MLT-1 Powered Subwoofer

I have the following questions:
1. Is it acceptable to split the preamp output or DAC output to my amp and powered subwoofer? Will this negatively impact any of my components? These are pretty crappy speakers, but the sub adds some good low-end that makes it sound pretty decent.
2. How much of a benefit would an upgrade to a Bifrost give me?
3. If I did upgrade to a Bifrost, does the SPDIF output go through my sound card, or is the USB upgrade worth it to remove the PC's DAC from my signal chain?
4. I recently fried the right output on a different preamp I was using, just so I could adjust the volume on the speakers and sub simultaneously and without using the Windows volume knob. Every time I touched it, I would shock myself. I have ordered a power conditioner to try to eliminate static from the system, but my socks on carpet are still going to generate a lot of static. The modi stops whenever I touch it as well. Aside from just not touching the stuff, is there anything else I can do to reduce impacts of static electricity? Is it possible that this fried my preamp or could fry my Modi? Will the power conditioner do anything to solve this problem? Should I be grounding to an external source or a different wall socket?

Thank you very much for your help. I have been addicted to reading Head-Fi for months now, but this is my first post, so I apologize for the long, rambling, n00b questions.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 5
1) Yes. It's perfectly fine to split the pre-amp output from the Asgard 2 and send it separately to the speaker amp and sub. In fact, my sub manufacturer recommended the same thing to me on the phone.
2) Not nearly as much as buying a better sub, amp, or speakers.
3) Using optical connection to a DAC allows you use the DSP features in your sound card.
4. Sorry. I don't know the answer to that question.

How are you hooking an MLT-1 speaker set to the Audiosource amp? It's not multichannel.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the fantastic answers, Cel. I'm glad I was on the right track with splitting the output.

I planned on getting Klipsch RB-41 IIs for my room, but it turns out my Dad is bringing me his McIntosh vintage setup from the 70's. I know the amp is a McIntosh MC2105, forgot the preamp. The speakers are MagnaPlanar! I can't wait to try 'em out.

I'm using onboard sound, so I won't be needing that optical connection. Thank you for the clarification there, it was agonizing trying to find a straight answer to that.

I'm only using two of the speakers from the MLT-1 set into the amp. I know this leaves out whatever the center channel frequency was, but it is all I have for now and it sounds alright.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm sure that the McIntosh and Maggies will sound better--light years better. LOL

You'll need a much better sub to match up with their SQ :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm very excited about it. I really hope the headphone section of it is in good working condition. I don't know what to expect from that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back