Desktop speakers?
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dub Beatz

1000+ Head-Fier
Whatsup guys! I just wanted a few quick opinions. I'm looking to get a nice set of desktop speakers for just recreational use. I'm going to bring that back to school with me too, and probably just set them up in my apartment. My roommate has a decent set of some Phillips speakers. I was just wondering if I could get decent sound out of a set for no more than $100. I'm not too concerned with incredible reproduction, I just leave that to my headphone setup. Anyways, we throw parties every once in a while so I need them to get loud without distortion, and have a good amount of bass. Thanks guys!

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
get loud without distortion, and have a good amount of bass

If space permits, I think a receiver and a set of bookshelf speakers would work well for you.  Hit up ebay or garage sales for both.  It'll allow more options than just hooking it to your computer too.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions for either? My only expertise is in the headphone department, and it's limited at that. I don't own a receiver haha.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 19
I use an old Technics 5.1 receiver I pulled out of a friends garage and Sony 2-way bookshelf speakers.  Total cost, $50.

You can really use any receiver as you're only doing music.  As long as it has the connections you want (rca's on older ones, spdif or usb on newer) and enough power to drive whatever speakers you pick.  Hdmi and all that won't matter and will only up the price.

As for speakers, a set of bookshelf ones and possibly a powered sub or some floor speakers.  My Sonys get the job done but I'm not going to be rocking the place with them.  My old setup on the other hand could easily be heard across the parking lot from my apartment and had enough bass to shake the walls and flex the windows.  That was 4-way 15's up front and 3-way 10's in the back, no separate sub needed...

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I recommend Creative GigaWorks T20. They are selling around $70 at Amazon.com. They sound very clear and palpable and look stylish. You will love them.

Thanks Cyong, I took a look and they are pretty stylish. I like these so far. Simplicity for me is key.

Quote:
I use an old Technics 5.1 receiver I pulled out of a friends garage and Sony 2-way bookshelf speakers.  Total cost, $50.

You can really use any receiver as you're only doing music.  As long as it has the connections you want (rca's on older ones, spdif or usb on newer) and enough power to drive whatever speakers you pick.  Hdmi and all that won't matter and will only up the price.

As for speakers, a set of bookshelf ones and possibly a powered sub or some floor speakers.  My Sonys get the job done but I'm not going to be rocking the place with them.  My old setup on the other hand could easily be heard across the parking lot from my apartment and had enough bass to shake the walls and flex the windows.  That was 4-way 15's up front and 3-way 10's in the back, no separate sub needed...

Pb, would you mind elaborating a bit? I understand exactly what you're saying, but I'm literally lost when it comes to receivers and bookshelf speakers. As I said, my limited expertise is in the headphone and amp department. I have never purchased a pair of speakers or a receiver in my life haha. If you could recommend me a nice setup you described, one that could power the speakers and provide enough bass and loudness to throw a party in a small apartment, that would be greatly appreciated. I have done tons of thread searching and nobody seems to have the same price range as me. Anyone else looking for speakers has a budget of at least $400, so I can't find any reasonable choices. Again, thank you for you feedback.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 19
Craiglist? Yeah, I had thought about that. I also went to best buy just to look. I just don't know jack about speakers so I don't want to purchase a pair that won't be very good. I generally go to head-fi when it comes to making decisions about audio related purchases haha.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm always checking out CL. I got my Boston Acoustics CR65s and CR400 sub from there and I love them. What I do if I see something I'm not familiar with I do a google search on the model#. I tend to like audioreview.com for people's comments. Remember, newer is not always better. Good luck with your search.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 19
Very nice! Thanks for looking for me man, I appreciate it. Do you know if I would need a sub also? Or would these put out enough bass to get a party started? haha. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back