Desktop speaker stands
Mar 16, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

endless402

500+ Head-Fier
does anyone know where to get short speaker stands ~6-8" for bookshelves?

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 24
I made some:
desk.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 24
Fantastic looking stands!

Btw, the ushers are seriously amazing value, but ever since I've heard Dynaudio, I just can't bring myself to buy them.

Counting down, $1000 more to go. :cry:

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 24
Wood Technologies made some nice ones:

wcseries_lg.jpg

fghseries_lg.jpg

mucseries_lg.jpg

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 24
That picture is just my office/den setup. I'm actually really happy with what began with an experiment in tube amps. I've only had the Usher's about a week and am really pleased with their performance.

I actually looked at PSB, Totem, Paradigm, and Dynaudio and preferred the Ushers at their price/performance point. I needed a front ported speaker due to placement issues. Usher met the bill.

Unfortunately I've been bitten by the tube bug and am seriously considering getting a set of larger tube mono-blocks for my Rotel/B&W setup in my family room. This is a sickness!

To the original poster: I looked and looked and couldn't find anything really compact for my desk, so I just made some. It was easy. I just used some cheap Poplar wood, cut on a table saw at my buddy's house, sanded, screwed/glued, patched, and stained them with an ebony stain. They look OK, actually. Even passed the wife test.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 24
spiderx that was such a nice setup I showed my wife. My setup is kinda like that but in training. Have a computer, Darkvoice Figaro, and a few beer cans.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by spyderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That picture is just my office/den setup. I'm actually really happy with what began with an experiment in tube amps. I've only had the Usher's about a week and am really pleased with their performance.

I actually looked at PSB, Totem, Paradigm, and Dynaudio and preferred the Ushers at their price/performance point. I needed a front ported speaker due to placement issues. Usher met the bill.

Unfortunately I've been bitten by the tube bug and am seriously considering getting a set of larger tube mono-blocks for my Rotel/B&W setup in my family room. This is a sickness!

To the original poster: I looked and looked and couldn't find anything really compact for my desk, so I just made some. It was easy. I just used some cheap Poplar wood, cut on a table saw at my buddy's house, sanded, screwed/glued, patched, and stained them with an ebony stain. They look OK, actually. Even passed the wife test.

So how much you charging to make more?
biggrin.gif

Think I'm gonna have to fire up my dad's table saw next time I visit the parents.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how much you charging to make more?
biggrin.gif

Yeah, those stands are *exactly* what I've been looking for fruitlessly for ages now.

Too bad I have absolutely zero woodworking skills.
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those stands are *exactly* what I've been looking for fruitlessly for ages now.

Too bad I have absolutely zero woodworking skills.
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

I also lack skills, but I can't find anything either...sooo, I have no other choice but to try & make my own. I'm sure they'll be wobbly & hideous! I just need about 6-8" higher damnit!

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 24
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 24
I put some fancy closed sell foam padding under my carpet, and had a bunch left over. I cut a square pad of it, and put the pad under each speaker on my desktop. Seems to really help the sound quality. I suspect it's a ghetto version of those fancy monitor isolation pads. Much cheaper for sure.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 24
Dunno if I'm up to making any more. Although easy, it was sort of time consuming. Maybe an hour all said to cut everything exact. But a bunch of time sanding (I have a palm-sander). Then the whole drill, countersink, screw deal. Then the patch/fill... then stain.

Trust me, I don't have much in the way of wood working skills. Just a little patience.

And they worked out. It was a crappy weekend when I made them, so it gave me something to do. Mistake was sanding in the garage. The S2000 & MiniCooper needed a bath after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back