Desktop speaker dilemma
Jun 23, 2009 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

richpjr

100+ Head-Fier
Here is some background on where I am:

I had a Klipsch iFi system that I felt was respectable as a computer speaker system. The amp in the Klipsch subwoofer started acting up recently and finally one channel died, leaving me looking for a replacement. I had upgraded my home theatre system not too long ago and had a recently retired Pioneer Elite VSX-26T receiver sitting in a closet. I thought, why not set it up in the office and see what it sounded like with the RSX-3’s that came with the iFi? Realizing that there is no way I could listen to these without a subwoofer, I “borrowed” a Klipsch SW12 subwoofer from my poolroom while I search for a replacement. I used a digital connection between my Mac Pro and the receiver, and as you can expect, the sound out of this setup is much better than the iFi ever was. While I have Sennheiser HD600’s and a tube headphone amp for my critical listening, I don’t like using headphones for long periods of time and want some decent speakers.

My dilemma is this: I’m trying to decide whether to reclaim all the real estate the receiver and rather larger subwoofer are taking up in my office and get either some powered speakers or find a place to put the receiver and get some bookshelf speakers (preferably ones that don’t need the sub as it needs to go back, but I could eventually add a smaller one for either solution at some time in the future). My first preference was to get something like the Audioengine A5 or NHT M-00’s or perhaps even monitors like the M-Audio BX5A Deluxe. These are all nice and compact and won’t cost a fortune and all reportedly sound decent (though I haven’t yet listened to any of them). On the other hand, I have a perfectly good receiver sitting idle so figuring out where to put it and adding some bookshelf speakers would more than likely give me some better sound. I don’t want to spend huge money on this, but am intrigued by what I could do here. I’m not really up on the latest in bookshelf speakers and have to research them, but I’m thinking that by not paying for an amp and electronics will give me better sound for the same price. Or I could even stretch the budget a bit more on something like a pair of Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000s or even B&W 686’s to get better sound.

So, what would you all do if you were in my shoes?

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 15
While you are correct that studio monitors tend to be more fatiguing because of their intended purpose, you shouldn't worry. Monitors in that price range aren't quite detailed enough to be a large problem as long as the source material is semi decent, but that applies to all speakers as well. If you are really worried then I believe the HiVi Swan multimedia monitors like the D1080MKII or 200mKII have a more colored sound like "normal" speakers.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Depends how much real estate you want to reclaim. Bookshelves and monitors are really pretty big. If you want something really small you give up a lot in midbass response. If you get bigger speakers you get more bass but they take up a lot of room.

If you can give up the space, check out Usher S520's. Great deal on awesome sounding speakers.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Go ahead and give the A5s a shot though audioengineusa.com for 30 days...return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I did lose some desk space though but it's well worth it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 15
I don't mind the desk space for the speakers, it's where to put the giant Pioneer Elite receiver that is a problem. Maybe I'll just put a shelf on the wall on the side of my desk and stick it up there - if I got that route.

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by advan031 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go ahead and give the A5s a shot though audioengineusa.com for 30 days...return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I did lose some desk space though but it's well worth it.

The return policy is nice and the "mw09" 25% off coupon is still valid so they come out to $262 shipped.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 15
So after browsing around various forums looking at possible speaker and monitor solutions I ran accross the Blue Sky Exo 2.1 monitors that were getting very good reviews. Looking online I saw that Guitar Center carries them for $349. I ran over to the one near me after work to see if they had them set up so I could listen to them and the guys did not have them on display. They did say they were not going to be carrying this model any longer and had dropped the price to $199. I jumped on it and just got them set up. The quick 10 minute review is that these things are a steal for that price. I love the little control unit with the gain and subwoofer levels, and having both headphone and a stereo input on the front (for an iPod) is very convenient. I am pleased!

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm a big believer in active speakers. Well-executed they're very hard for passive systems to compete with IMO. And detail is not fatiguing. If speakers are fatiguing, they are distorted, not detailed. But if you want to do this well for a reasonable amount of money, use the Elite, and listen to Definitive's 350s. These little speakers punch WAY above their weight. With any desktop near-field arrangement, you'll need to get them up off the surface (I use a platform made of bricks) and tilt them back to minimize the reflections off of the desk surface (big rubber doorstops are the high tech solution). They'll image much better that way.

Tim

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 15
I've listened to both the a5s and nht M-00s (or moos) and I'll say that you can't go wrong ethier way. But my ears prefered the moos overall for better clarity and reproduction while the a5 have better bass and nearly comparable highs. If u plan to use a receiver or pot stick with the moos. I really didn't care for the volume knob on the a5s. Also the moos have more connection options.

The moos just feel, look, and sound more like a first rate product. That being said the a5s still surprised in how nice and punchy they sounded. The iPod input is a welcome addition as well on the a5s.

Pick either and u won't be disappointed. Good audio for sane prices.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 15
I always thought the Blue Sky's looked pretty cool. Can you give an update on their sound and use? Any peculiarities with operation or sound?

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say go w/ the active/powered monitors, you'd save a lot of room and they sound great.. i'd look into the Mackie MR5 or KRK RP5g2.. both around $300 a pair

I can confirm the rp5s sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 15
Quoted from another "active speaker" thread:

"These may be out of the $ range, but I just replaced my Audio Engine A5's with these:

Adam A5 Recording Studio Monitor Are you willing to find the truth in your music collection? Review By Steven R. Rochlin

I found these to provide so much more resolution for a given volume--especially throughout the mid-range--that I'm able to listen at lower levels. Also, they sound fuller without being bloated.

I never thought I'd use pro-audio, but these have certainly changed my mind."

EDIT: By the way, these are now topping out at $800 USD, not $700 mentioned in the review. Also, Adam controls their distribution so it's very difficult finding these discounted.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 15
My latest flame are AVi's ADM9.1s. They are the size of active studio monitors with a 6.5" midbass and a 1" dome tweeter, but they are built for home use, with enough power to fill a room, not just a desktop. 300 watts for each woofer, 75 for each tweeter. All class A/B. Another thing that is unique is they not only have the amps built in, but a simple preamp and state-of-the art Wolfson DAC. A little pricey in this conversation at about $1800 US, but given that you could just plug in your digital or analog source and call it a day, they're an incredible bargain for the sound they produce, which is big, detailed, balanced and dynamic, with imaging to die for.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back