desktop speaker decision
May 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leotnnz

100+ Head-Fier
I am struggling to decide to buy a new pair of desktop speakers. my budget will be around $200. I prefer the monitors which make me kick out A2. So what i am looking at are M audio av40(~$140) and Alesis M1 active 520(~$190). I know if my budget is about 300, then krk or mackie could be on my list, but i only have 200 in my wallet now. 

Does anyone have the opinion on those speakers? Or you have any good idea on monitor speakers under $200?

Thanks for advice:)

May 20, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 11
The AV40s are a bit light on the bass, so if you're looking for your speakers to thump then you'd better look elsewhere. Most of my music tends towards classical and jazz, so the AV40s suite me just fine.

May 22, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 11
As I said already, I'm quite happy with my AV40s. I currently have them paired with a Saffire 6 USB sound card running balanced out. M-Audio is a fairly prolific company, which also means it's easy to find their stuff on sale. I can find the AV40s in Canada for $140 (Cnd) which includes shipping. I think I've seen sale prices in the US go for $90-100.

It might also be worth checking out the local music shops and seeing what they have available, as well as if they have any demo units that they'd sell for cheaper.

May 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
As I said already, I'm quite happy with my AV40s. I currently have them paired with a Saffire 6 USB sound card running balanced out. M-Audio is a fairly prolific company, which also means it's easy to find their stuff on sale. I can find the AV40s in Canada for $140 (Cnd) which includes shipping. I think I've seen sale prices in the US go for $90-100.

It might also be worth checking out the local music shops and seeing what they have available, as well as if they have any demo units that they'd sell for cheaper.

Do you mind sharing the website or store you find AV40 for $140? I am from Canada and looking for a pair of that too:). Also, how does AV40 compare to A2?

May 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 11
Here are the two sites I use for price comparison:
http://www.shopbot.ca/
http://www.pricebat.ca
Just find the one that offers free shipping, then get them to pricematch the best one.

I actually wound up buying a used set locally for $100.

I have not heard the A2s, but the guy I bought the AV40s from upgraded to those and he prefers the A2s, but you get what you pay for (I think he paid almost $300 after taxes/shipping from the US... he didn't really price shop).

May 23, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 11
You should get the AV40. I was going to get them but the store ran out of stock, so I went with the ESI nEar 05 for no extra $$. Definitely don't need a sub woofer, there is plenty of bass to satisfy me 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back