Desktop Speaker Amp
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JimSmiley

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for recommendations for a small desktop amp to power a pair of passive speakers. Tube or Solid state.

TIA

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 28
I'd like to keep it less than 300 USD, but that has never stopped from me from going over. For the record, the chain is Foobar>USB DAC>Little Dot MKIII preamp>

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 28
Check out the T-Amp from Sonic Impact, available for $69 at Partsexpress.com. Just google T-Amp and see what I mean. I have two of them, and they are fantastic when paired with the right speakers (above 89db). The current model is v2, but here's a review of the original T-Amp (I have one of each). Awesome sound, small budget. Don't think you will need the pre-amp.

Review of original
T-Amp - Class T integrated amplifier - [English]

Order info
Parts Express:Sonic Impact 5065 Gen 2 T-Amp with Power Supply

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 28
thanks..even i was looking for smthg like this...have a pair of Monitor speakers which need an amp.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 28
As an afflicted afficianado of small footprint desktop sized amplifiers, my vote would go for a Toshiba M15 power amplifier from the early 80s System 15 high end mini system.

The amps show up on fleabay fairly regularly but their popularity means they still fetch a couple of hundred bucks or so.

They put out 45w in stereo and 90w bridged into mono, have two speaker outputs so you can power your monitors and a pair of electrostatic/electret headphones at the push of a button.

Sound is wonderfully responsive and a little warm and it even has a pretty darn good headphone stage...and all in a 8"x10" footprint.

I've got two of them and have been loving them for some time now.

Below are the pictures from a current Ebay auction which currently stands at a lowly thirty six bucks!
ToshibaM15B-ebay.jpg
http://home1.gte.net/res0r4q0/ToshibaM15B-ebay.jpg

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 28
Used Adcom GFA-535 is what I went with and would recommend, its regarded as one of the best power amps around for the money.

You can usually find them fairly easily on Audiogon and Ebay.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 28
Isn't the Adcom unit a full size component, not a desktop sized box?
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Adcom unit a full size component, not a desktop sized box?
confused.gif

Well, yeah I guess it is. It's just under 3" tall though and I'll be standing mine on its end on the desk so the foot print will be relatively small.

Also Jim stated he has a preamp so really the amp can be placed anywhere, it doesn't have to be on the desk.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JBL Power20 is a little, underrated gem..hard to find, but an incredible buy if you do find it.

Brendan

X2!!

While my personal preference is for the Toshibas, I used to have a Power 20 on loan in my office and it is a sweet little amp that is indeed highly underrated.
Hard to find though.
I just missed one a few weeks back on fleabay.
redface.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 28
The Parasound Zamp would be good since you already have a pre-amp.

The Trends TA-10.1 is a nice alternative to the SI Gen2. Similar amp, but better build quality. (I own one of each)

The Nuforce Icon provides both analog and USB input, although you don't need the USB.

Check out AudioMagus - they carry a few options in the category.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 28
I just remembered that the OP wanted an amp to go with his pre.

For that purpose, the JBL would be unsuitable; it not being a power amp but an integrated:
dsc01397bc8.jpg

Still a nice little desktop amplifier though:

dsc01399or2.jpg

Thanks to CyberSpyder for the pics.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 28
Sonic Impact has removed all T-Amps from their site, so get one if can find it in stock or ebay.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonic Impact has removed all T-Amps from their site, so get one if can find it in stock or ebay.

Or get one from Trends audio.

Another option for the OP might be the Firestone Audio Big Joe:

Big-Joe-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back