Desktop speaker amp for my PC?
Mar 11, 2016 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Neccros

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fiio A1 (Class D, 14w per ch) powering my Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR Pioneers... I would like to find a similar sized amp that can play a little louder without distortion.  

Looking for something in the 25-50w ch range. Seen all these amps from SMSL, Dayton Audio, Topping and wanted to know which ones are decent quality and can play clean even at higher volumes.  What other brands should I look at??

My budget is $0-200 and would like to keep it small due to desk space limitations. 

Also whats the differences between Class D and Class T amps?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 11
How are your DIY skills?
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/appliances-gadgets/358-amanda-harris-prius-home-audio.html
Nowadays, you can get cheap modules that are much easier than building from scratch.

If you want a pure digital design, there aren't any reasonably cheap offerings apart from receivers. Of which, is it an option to get a receiver and put it somewhere other than on the desk?

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Are you looking for a unit with digital input? If so, I'm not aware of any cheap ones that size. No easy DIY solutions either.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 11
Can the Fiio Q1 able to drive the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers?

That's a portable headphone DAC/amp, not a speaker amp. 

Look at something from SMSL, Dayton Audio, Monoprice, etc... there are a ton of decent cheap speaker amps out there.  If moneys no object, I'm sure someone else here can recommend a good amp

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 11
I just recently bought Lepy 2020A to drive a pair of Micca MB42. This is 20W per channel digital amp. The Lepy sells about CAD 30 from Amazon CA. I am happy with the set up and the sound is clean and natural. 

I also have a Fiio E10 DAC/HP Amp. May be I should also try to use the non amplified output go to 2020A. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 11
I currently have a Fiio A1 (discontinued) powering my Andrew Jones Pioneers on my desk with my JDS labs O2/ODAC Rev B feeding it.  Sounds really good. goes pretty loud even if it is only 14w ch. 

I am thinking about picking up a Dayton Audio DTA-120 @ 60w ch. for a little more power to the speakers. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 11
i think your best choice would be a parasound zamp -- they're well made, have a small footprint and sound great.  

looks like audio advisor has them on sale. here's a link: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAZAMPV3

slightly over your budget, but i'd stretch a little for something you can use for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back