Desktop setup vs chord mojo with smartphone OTG
Jan 28, 2016 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Smokey636

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, Need your help to get the best sound for my money, I've got a very good Naim home hifi but get frustrated I can't play it without worrying about disturbing neighbors etc.... So thinking of getting a good headphone setup and hope that will give me my music fix.. (Currently using my phone with b&w p3 headphones which sound terrible)

I'm looking for a closed set of overear headphones with excellent isolation (will probably use it mostly in bed near my wife) and think I have decided to go for the mrspeaker alpha dogs or alpha primes.

But now I need a amp and dac. I will want to use my smartphone or iPad to play tidal/flac.

Looking through the forum it seems I've got 2 options either a portable setup with a chord mojo amp/dac or a separate desktop amp and dac but not sure which dac will allow input from a android otg cable... .
I will not be using this setup out of my home..

What options do I have?

I've got £450 to spend on a dac and amp, will the chord mojo give me the best sound for my money for its £400?

And then maybe in the future I could buy a separate desktop amp and just use the mojo's dac as a lot of the reviews are raving about the quality of its dac which would give me the flexibility of having a portable system and a powerful bedroom setup too?

Thanks in advance.
Keith

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 4
The Mojo should be fine for what you need. As for USB from phone to DAC, most anything should work these days. Some phones are pickier than others but I've used an LG G4 and now Nexus 6P to multiple different USB DACs. Another portable option with a lot more power would be the iFi iDSD Micro, check it out.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 4
The Mojo is a great choice as portable or desktop with amp. I use my at night with my iPhone and Shure IEMs in bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back