Desktop setup for LCD-3
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nycenglish

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'd like to set up a compact (no more than 12" wide) desktop headphone system in my home office to drive my LCD-3s.

My regular speaker system comprises of a Pass power amp, PS Audio BHK pre, PS Audio DSD DAC, and Merlin VSM speakers. For those familiar with these components, you'll know they deliver a smooth musical sound yet with some bass punch. All my music is via roon and is therefore 100% digital.

roon core runs on a reasonably beefy iMac which streams to my speaker system. The iMac is in the same office as this headphone set up would be.

As far as I can tell this means I need a DAC and a headphone amp to drive my LCD-3s. I am somewhat concerned about using USB to connect the DAC to my Mac as the SQ of USB is debated.

For reference, I am considering trying a used Chord Hugo 2 and approx. $2K is my budget.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Paul

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd like to set up a compact (no more than 12" wide) desktop headphone system in my home office to drive my LCD-3s.

My regular speaker system comprises of a Pass power amp, PS Audio BHK pre, PS Audio DSD DAC, and Merlin VSM speakers. For those familiar with these components, you'll know they deliver a smooth musical sound yet with some bass punch. All my music is via roon and is therefore 100% digital.

roon core runs on a reasonably beefy iMac which streams to my speaker system. The iMac is in the same office as this headphone set up would be.

As far as I can tell this means I need a DAC and a headphone amp to drive my LCD-3s. I am somewhat concerned about using USB to connect the DAC to my Mac as the SQ of USB is debated.

For reference, I am considering trying a used Chord Hugo 2 and approx. $2K is my budget.

Any recommendations?

Violectric V800

Corda Jazz FF; used Classic FF or wait for the new amp that might replace it

I am somewhat concerned about using USB to connect the DAC to my Mac as the SQ of USB is debated.

It's not.

Either your DAC needs USB power or it doesn't, at which point source hardware doesn't matter other than 1) power supply noise (something that isn't likely unless you're using a cheap motherboard and cheap power supply) and 2) software.

On top of which USB bandwidth is higher than SPDIF. DSD goes through USB and HDMI, but old SACD players that aren't BluRay players only output the SACD layer.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply ProtegeManiac. Can you expand on why you recommend those amps? I don't believe the Corda contain a DAC so that would be an additional box and cable to contend with. Given the source is USB, whatever DAC I used would need a good USB implementation.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the reply ProtegeManiac. Can you expand on why you recommend those amps?

HF_03.png

I don't believe the Corda contain a DAC so that would be an additional box and cable to contend with.

One small box you can hide behind it and hook up with short cables is still better than not getting that kind of sound you're looking for though.

Given the source is USB, whatever DAC I used would need a good USB implementation.

Which for the most part means "built in power supply drives the entire digital circuit."

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 8
After some testing I found myself regularly using the Gungnir Multibit (DAC) and an Auralic Taurus MK2 (AMP) with my LCD3 and still think it's a pretty decent combination. If you buy both used and in good shape you should be able to find them below your budget limit (I was after all :) )
Unfortunately you don't exactly live around the corner, otherwise you could have dropped by for a listen^^
Cheers and good luck :)

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Tanks HBen - the Taurus is something I've been reading about and ppl seem to love it. Same for the Schiit, but unfortunately, that DAC is too wide for my space. :frowning2:

After some testing I found myself regularly using the Gungnir Multibit (DAC) and an Auralic Taurus MK2 (AMP) with my LCD3 and still think it's a pretty decent combination. If you buy both used and in good shape you should be able to find them below your budget limit (I was after all :) )
Unfortunately you don't exactly live around the corner, otherwise you could have dropped by for a listen^^
Cheers and good luck :)

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 8
The Taurus is 11'' wide so that one would fit ... about the DAC you could also go for a Schiit Bitfrost 2 which is 9'' wide, haven't heard it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back