Desktop or Portable DAC / Amp? Best bang for the buck?
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ndwalker1

New Head-Fier
VERY new to the headphone world, and I am debating whether to go with a portable DAC / headphone amp, or a desktop DAC / headphone amp.  My use would be primarily at my desktop computer (I do have a Windows laptop, but only use it when traveling, and I rarely do that).  I don't need additional features like SPDIF or Toslink inputs.
I AM on a budget, and would prefer to spend $300 or less.  In terms of Hi Rez, I've only got 24/96 and 24/192 files downloaded at the moment, and am not necessarily gung ho about DSD (yet).
So, any thoughts on the best sound, assuming I'll use an on-ear (not comfortable with any in-ears I've tried) phones that are fairly reasonably priced and fairly easy to drive (nothing exotic planned)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Neil

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Go desktop.  This will give you the most bang for your buck value and you spend most of your listening time there anyway.  Portables end up being a hassle in the long run with batteries, charging, cables, etc.  Of course it depends on your needs, but I would stick with a good desktop setup.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Some portables have good bang for the buck ratios in terms of performance, but yeah, over time the battery can become a problem. Depending on the build it may be relatively easy for the user to replace, but the question is how easy will it be to get a replacement battery with the right specs (although some are very efficient nowadays - I charged my D-Zero last month and I prior to that I couldn't remember when I last had the switch behind it enable charging. Still, if you don't actually need it to be portable, then better to go with desktop gear.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't really considered the hassles associated with batteries and charging and replacement.

Any suggestions for a new or used desktop DAC / headphone amp combo that would fit the bill ($300 or less)?

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 10
It really depends. 

How long will you be sitting at your desk every day? No point getting a fantastic desktop amp if you're only getting short bursts of time listening to it.

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 10
It varies a lot from day to day.  Some days I'm only at the desk for 30 minutes, a couple of times a day.  Other days I'm there for hours at a time and it seems like I only get away from it to eat.  
I'm curious about what you'd recommend if I were to invest less?  Is there something out there that would still sound pretty good and would cost appreciably less?  I was considering an iFi nano DSD if I decided to go the portable route.  Anything in that price range in a desktop set up that would be acceptable or better?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Neil

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 10
  It varies a lot from day to day.  Some days I'm only at the desk for 30 minutes, a couple of times a day.  Other days I'm there for hours at a time and it seems like I only get away from it to eat.  
I'm curious about what you'd recommend if I were to invest less?  Is there something out there that would still sound pretty good and would cost appreciably less?  I was considering an iFi nano DSD if I decided to go the portable route.  Anything in that price range in a desktop set up that would be acceptable or better?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Neil

Hmmm there have been people saying that the schitt magni+modi combo is pretty good, whilst others recommend the O2 combo. I personally never tried both of these, and thus cannot comment on their quality.

However, I bought the Fiio E07K as my starting amp/dac combo, and felt that it was a pretty solid piece of hardware especially for its price. 

I'm also currently using the Ifi iCan [Full sized] version as my desktop amp, and can tell you that it's pretty awesome.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for (a) being a voice of reason in terms of jumping into this new venture at a reasonable price point, and (b) suggesting a couple of American made alternatives to the Audio GD desktop DAC/Amp.  I have no qualms about buying Chinese or Asian or International  products so long as they are from a reputable manufacturer... but I get a particular kick out of getting American designed and built kit that is as nice or nicer for the same $.

Thanks too for your comment about the sound quality of the iFi iCan.  SO many options for good (or even better) sound at reasonable prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back