Desktop Monitors and General Listening
Mar 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hypnotique

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I've been reading the forums for suggestion on desktop monitors and I have a couple of questions:

1- As a pure listener (and not a professional producer/mixer), how much of a difference in sound quality is there between a pair of monitors like the Genelec 8020B or Adam A7 (which cost more than a 1000 dollars), and a lower end loudspeaker like the Audioengine A5 (which cost about the 1/3 of the price)? Is it really noticeable? Will i get 3 times the clarity? I am planning to use them for general listening, in a small room, at medium volumes but i am particular about the best sound quality I can get.

2- My source will mainly be my computer. I do not have a soundcard, however I do have a Maverick Audio DAC/Amp for my headphones. These do have an RCA output at the back which I am guessing can be used to input my monitors. My question is, assuming if I splash my cash on a pair of Genelic 8020Bs (which require an XLR input). Is it a good idea to just use an RCA to XLR adapter and listen away, or will i be handicapping my expensive Genelics? In short, if i buy a higher end pair of monitors, is it necessary to spend extra cash to get a soundcard to fully realize the monitor's potential?

Thanks,

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 10
Theres a big difference in sound between most speakers, just because they cost more doesn't mean they sound better, they could be outperformed by speakers costing half as much.

Xlr to rca is a bad idea you will loose 6db of signal, either get a soundcard or usb dac with balanced outputs or monitors with rca or ts inputs.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 10
You will be handicapping them. I have M-Audio CX5s and they have balanced and RCA inputs. I was using an RCA to TRS cable and it wasn't nearly as loud as it is now, now that I am using RCA to RCA. I started a thread about it, and it has all you need to know about balanced vs unbalanced in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533390/unbalanced-rca-louder-than-unbalanced-rca-to-trs

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
You will be handicapping them. I have M-Audio CX5s and they have balanced and RCA inputs. I was using an RCA to TRS cable and it wasn't nearly as loud as it is now, now that I am using RCA to RCA. I started a thread about it, and it has all you need to know about balanced vs unbalanced in it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533390/unbalanced-rca-louder-than-unbalanced-rca-to-trs

right, thanks for the link

so for the case of Audioengine 5, which has only a  1/8 minijack input (which is strange because the lower range A2 has both RCA and 1/8 input), if i decide to use the included  RCA to 1/8 Y adapter, i will lose input volume?

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 10

so for the case of Audioengine 5, which has only a  1/8 minijack input (which is strange because the lower range A2 has both RCA and 1/8 input), if i decide to use the included  RCA to 1/8 Y adapter, i will lose input volume?

Is it this pair? this has just RCA inputs. If this is the pair, then 1/8y to RCA should not be a problem at all.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 10
if u choose to buy reference monitors like genelecs of course u will have to support them with the appropriate reference sound card.

I have the emu 404 pci and i think the perfomance is the best i could have.I cannot compare them with A5 but i had the M-audio BX5 and there is no comparison.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

Is it this pair? this has just RCA inputs. If this is the pair, then 1/8y to RCA should not be a problem at all.

yes thats the pair. but note those are not RCA inputs. Those are RCA outs for the subwoofer.
The only input for this product is 1/8 minijack.

my USB DAC device has an RCA output. The audioengine 5 comes with an RCA to 1/8 adapter. So question is, is it advisable to use that adapter, and connect my RCA out to the 1/8 input of the audioengines? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back