Desktop microphone for comfort?
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kalderyn

New Head-Fier
Is there a budget-priced desktop microphone that clearly catches you voice from 50cm away, so you never have to lean into it?

Also, it should not be tall so as to not obstruct the screen.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Depends on your definition of "budget." And I am guessing that you are connecting this mic into a PC USB port, not an audio interface that provides phantom power, uses XLR connects and the like.

Good mics, especially condenser mics, tend to pick up EVERYTHING. Fans, traffic, sirens, paper shuffling, chair squeaks. If you are in a quiet environment or you don't mind some inevitable background noises, great. Otherwise, you might consider getting and using a sound isolation shield, which, of course, adds to your cost.

Relatively inexpensive, insofar as quality mics go, the Rode NT-USB Condenser Microphone is a top performer at around $170. The good thing about this mic is that it also comes with some extras that other mics don't - a tripod stand, a pop shield and ring mount. It is a full size mic so it will stand tall enough to block part of your view if you have it directly in front of you, but just place it to the side of your screen, it is sensitive enough to work at some distance using a normal voice.

A great second choice, also full size, is the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone for around $160. Has a stand but no extra pop filter. If you are speaking some distance from the mic a pop filter is not essential, just nice to have if you are in the habit of speaking close to a mic.

Third choice, check out the Blue Yeti USB Mic for around $120.

Final choice for $60 - 100, you might find the mics on Logitech web cams are perfectly fine for most all streaming voice chats and gaming coms like Discord. Not really in the same audio quality league as the above choices, but can be mounted out of your way on top of a monitor or laptop screen. I recommend the Logitech HD Pro C920 and the C922 Pro Stream models. The latter comes with a small tripod as well for a bit more mounting versatility. And you get excellent video streaming as well.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 6
The beam-forming mics that some soundcards (e.g. Sound Blaster, Xonar) ship with tend to work pretty well in my experience. I wouldn't want to do recording work on them, but for voice communications I've had no problems or complaints with them sitting either on top of my monitor or under it. If you're after professional-quality voice recording, @PJABBER has provided some good options. I'm also inclined to look at those more "conventional" mics, which will need a preamp between the mic and your interface - imho can't really go wrong with an SM57 or 58 for example, but that's "more gear" than some of the newer USB solutions. You might also look at getting something that goes onto your headphones/person, like a clip-on ("lavalier" aka "lav" or "lapel") mic or the AntLion Mod Mic.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 6
The AntLion Mod Mic is an interesting option in that it is designed to glue onto your current headphones.

If you wear headphones exclusively and are looking for voice only frequency response (rolls off high and low frequencies) it is worth considering.

One of the only ways you can use high end headphones and have the convenience of a Plantronics type headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back