Desktop Maxed out.
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my Headroom Desktop Max/Max with stepped option and would like to know how long is the burn-in time.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 12
listen to it and then tell us.........................

I personally love listening to the break in changes (or lack-of sometimes). Gives it a bit of discovery.

I love getting pissed off at the sound I just spent money on only to suddenly turn around 300 hours later when my head and gear are both adequately burnt in and I'm - wow man. cooooool.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
listen to it and then tell us.........................

I personally love listening to the break in changes (or lack-of sometimes). Gives it a bit of discovery.

I love getting pissed off at the sound I just spent money on only to suddenly turn around 300 hours later when my head and gear are both adequately burnt in and I'm - wow man. cooooool.

It's interesting you say this because when first auditioned out of the box and then for 2 full hours it sounds only marginally better than the dvd socket out on my player. I was disappointed, is this what I get for all the money I just spent
??
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting you say this because when first auditioned out of the box and then for 2 full hours it sounds only marginally better than the dvd socket out on my player. I was disappointed, is this what I get for all the money I just spent
??
eek.gif

What worries me is the fact that the Maxxed desktop option, minus the DAC is comparable to the HR-2 & GS1 & cost 700-800 more.. Makes no sense.. No bang for the buck value..

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What worries me is the fact that the Maxxed desktop option, minus the DAC is comparable to the HR-2 & GS1 & cost 700-800 more.. Makes no sense.. No bang for the buck value..

I see your point here, although more comparable than you think. look at the numbers.
The desktop Amp minus the Max Dac cost:
Amp$649 + Max Module$399 + Stepped option$99 + DPS Supply$399 = $1546

Now the GS1$849 + Stepped option$150 = $999 This without any Dac.
Headroom with Max Dac is a further $399 so($1546+$399) the total =$1945

GS1 TOTAL=999
Desktop TOTAL=1945

Quite a difference but remember the GS1 is sans Dac so when I was looking for an amp I figured that a quality Dac will cost around 1K any way. Another reason was the all in a box convenience.
The above test was through the Coaxial input from a DVD player, I was watching a film set to PCM in the audio mode.
I will listen further using my CD player later today.

EDIT- A FEW HOURS LATER

Now have been using coaxial out from cd player and the amp seems to have opened up.
This thing has prodigious bass although very sharp and controlled. The amp is very neutral and is never in the way. Just seems to want to play the music. I am finding the Crossfield effect to be very, very mild -Maybe music specific.

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 12
There's really no need for us to tell you how long the burn-in time is; even if we did know it. Half the fun of owning a new piece of equipment is seeing how it changes throughout one's ownership - so there's no point in finding out when the amp is "done" burning in.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of "bang for the buck" I might also add that if you get a GS-1 and DAC1 together, you're paying about the same as a Maxed-out Desktop with DAC, but what you end up with is, in my opinion, a significantly more refined and musical combination. I can say so because I have both - I never use the Desktop anymore.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of "bang for the buck" I might also add that if you get a GS-1 and DAC1 together, you're paying about the same as a Maxed-out Desktop with DAC, but what you end up with is, in my opinion, a significantly more refined and musical combination. I can say so because I have both - I never use the Desktop anymore.

I wasn't including the DAC..
confused.gif
But lets say my Used HR-2 & used DAC1 is a better bang for the buck..
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 12
I have no idea of the burn-in time for a Maxed Desktop, but I stopped burning in my HR Micro Amp after 211 hours, as it seemed most of the changes were done (or at least it sounded good enough that I could just burn-it in as I listen instead of running 24/7).

Mine sounded good out of the box however, and the changes were mostly subtle improvements in tighter bass, smoother highs and more open soundstage, but no where near as dramatic as the changes in my RSA Predator over the first 1000 hours. If the Micro had never changed with burn-in I would have still enjoyed it for what I got it for, while the Predator was disappointing at first like your Desktop. Poor little Predator took 1,000 hours to fully mature, while none of my other amps needed more than 200-300 hours.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm assuming yours was and is the Maxed out Module/Dac version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back