Desktop headphones for $150 range
Sep 18, 2014 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grandcross

New Head-Fier
Hi, it's been about 7-8 years since I've made a post at Head-Fi, or bought any expensive headphones. Used to have the Shure E3c, E4c, some Westones, and Alessandro MS1. Did some lurking recently, and got the RE-400 Hifiman (which I really like) to replace my lack of working IEMs. My desktop headphone is the AKG K271s, which has held up for many years, but I'm hoping to try something new.

I usually listen to video game/anime music, though sometimes I listen to rock or hiphop. I run my headphones through the FiiO E11 amp. I prefer closed ear, though I'm fine with getting open ear. Maybe hoping for something with a decent soundstage.

edit: Oh, and if you have any notes about sound accessories (cables, etc), feel free to share them. I've been in the dark all these years regarding mods.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 10
 Maybe just getting a decent DAC will improve audio quality enough?
With the current AKG K271s

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 10
  Hi, it's been about 7-8 years since I've made a post at Head-Fi, or bought any expensive headphones. Used to have the Shure E3c, E4c, some Westones, and Alessandro MS1. Did some lurking recently, and got the RE-400 Hifiman (which I really like) to replace my lack of working IEMs. My desktop headphone is the AKG K271s, which has held up for many years, but I'm hoping to try something new.

I usually listen to video game/anime music, though sometimes I listen to rock or hiphop. I run my headphones through the FiiO E11 amp. I prefer closed ear, though I'm fine with getting open ear. Maybe hoping for something with a decent soundstage.

edit: Oh, and if you have any notes about sound accessories (cables, etc), feel free to share them. I've been in the dark all these years regarding mods.

another option to go with is something like the Sound Magic HP 200, or the Beyer DT 990 Pro. The DT 990 sounds nice on the Darker Fiio Amps, I loved my 990 Pro 250 with the E11 

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 10
   Maybe just getting a decent DAC will improve audio quality enough?
With the current AKG K271s

I haven't looked into DACs much (or know much about them really), but I have a dedicated sound card - M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's pretty old though.

another option to go with is something like the Sound Magic HP 200, or the Beyer DT 990 Pro. The DT 990 sounds nice on the Darker Fiio Amps, I loved my 990 Pro 250 with the E11 

I'll look into both. But I'm curious; what's the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm DT 990 headphones?

Also, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 - would that be a good choice?

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 10

I haven't looked into DACs much (or know much about them really), but I have a dedicated sound card - M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's pretty old though.

I'll look into both. But I'm curious; what's the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm DT 990 headphones?

Also, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 - would that be a good choice?

PRICE

don't get the 600 ohm DT 990 it's like TWICE the price of the Pro Model and imo, for $320 ish dollars you can get better headphones than the DT 990, I'm not farmilliar with the Senn HD 598, but sonically it should be warm compared to the Colder Beyer, I ofc like Cold Headphones so... I'd go beyer

if if IF your ok with spending like $300+ ish dollars, the Hifiman HE 400i might be a good option, if u can find a used one

BUT the 600 ohm Preium DT 990 is imo not worth it's price :/ 

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 10
  PRICE

don't get the 600 ohm DT 990 it's like TWICE the price of the Pro Model and imo, for $320 ish dollars you can get better headphones than the DT 990, I'm not farmilliar with the Senn HD 598, but sonically it should be warm compared to the Colder Beyer, I ofc like Cold Headphones so... I'd go beyer

if if IF your ok with spending like $300+ ish dollars, the Hifiman HE 400i might be a good option, if u can find a used one

BUT the 600 ohm Preium DT 990 is imo not worth it's price :/ 

Understood; was just curious. It's so easy to speculate "what if I spent a little more..." It's kind of the trap of these forums. lol

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 10

Understood; was just curious. It's so easy to speculate "what if I spent a little more..." It's kind of the trap of these forums. lol

Maybe some used Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 10

Maybe some used Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones.

ooh good idea, I liked the AD 900x, it was a cross between a DT 880 and DT 990 without the need for an amp! Though it has a VERY VERY dry Bass, nice extension but it's pretty mechnical in the bass compared to the beyers, but the AD 900x Makes up for that in the mids, though it won't play nice with tubes like the DT 990 will

still a good recommendation, you might be able to then get away with a slighty cheaper Amp/Dac combo! like a Fiio E17, use the bass boost to give the AD 900x bass some body back 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 10
  ooh good idea, I liked the AD 900x, it was a cross between a DT 880 and DT 990 without the need for an amp! Though it has a VERY VERY dry Bass, nice extension but it's pretty mechnical in the bass compared to the beyers, but the AD 900x Makes up for that in the mids, though it won't play nice with tubes like the DT 990 will

still a good recommendation, you might be able to then get away with a slighty cheaper Amp/Dac combo! like a Fiio E17, use the bass boost to give the AD 900x bass some body back 

Earlier today a used AD900X (on eBay) sold for $107, I did not get home in time to make a higher bid :frowning2:

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 10

Earlier today a used AD900X (on eBay) sold for $107, I did not get home in time to make a higher bid :frowning2:

I got to demo an AD 900X I enjoyed it for the time I had it, still felt the DT 880 was the better can for me, but alas I had amps galore and wasn't in need of an un amped can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back