Desktop Headphone Amp w/ EQ controls (AKGQ701)
Oct 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

heisenburg703

New Head-Fier
Hey guy! This is my first post on the site, but I've been a long time follower for a very long time!
anyways, down to buisness. I own a pair of AKGQ701's, and run them through a schiit asgaard amp. It sounds almost perfect, but they could really use a tiny bit more bass and some of the highs are just too high. Does anyone know of a desktop amplifier with a graphical or built in eq that i can pair with my 701S? solid state or tube, Something like the Bravo V3 but made with Much better quality and aimed for low iimpedance headphones? Something where i could adjust parts of the sound to make it perfect to my ears. The more customization the better! i have no price range. thanks

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 4
You may want to try the AKG K712 Pro and see if that gives you the sound signature you are after.  If you like the K712 Pro after doing a comparison you can always sell the Q701.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey guy! This is my first post on the site, but I've been a long time follower for a very long time!
anyways, down to business. I own a pair of AKGQ701's, and run them through a Schiit Asgard amp. It sounds almost perfect, but they could really use a tiny bit more bass and some of the highs are just too high. Does anyone know of a desktop amplifier with a graphical or built in EQ that I can pair with my 701S? solid state or tube, Something like the Bravo V3 but made with Much better quality and aimed for low impedance headphones? Something where I could adjust parts of the sound to make it perfect to my ears. The more customization the better! I have no price range. thanks

It seems like your describing a typical Q701 type of sound?
Maybe you bought the wrong type of headphones?
What are you using for a DAC?
What is your audio source?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Give your Q701 the bass mod. It adds about 3db or so to the bottom end. 

If you really want an amp with tone controls you could try to find an old 70's vintage receiver. I found my Pioneer SX-750 for only $40. The Q701 really likes big vintage power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back