Desktop DAC recommendations.
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gamingfreak977

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just picked up a audio-gd phoenix and am in need of a dac to pair with it. I was thinking of picking up a Mojo but from what I've been reading as of late it seems to be a love it or hate it dac and I'm not able to test it before buying. Anyone have some recommendations for alternatives to the Mojo within that price range?

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 8
To me the advantage of the Mojo is its portability. If this is going to be paried with something that stays on the desk, I think a lot of better options exist at that price point.
I'd really give a hard look at the Schiit Bifrost or Bifrost MB.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 8
To me the advantage of the Mojo is its portability. If this is going to be paried with something that stays on the desk, I think a lot of better options exist at that price point.
I'd really give a hard look at the Schiit Bifrost or Bifrost MB.

I have considered the Bifrost MB but will likely be buying from the used market and it seems very hard to come by at the moment. (Probably means people are keeping them haha.)

go for Mayflower Electronics ARC,O2DAC

I have an ODAC which my girlfriend uses currently. While it is very good for it's price point I have heard much better DACS out there but may use it temporarily until I can purchase something else.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Well on the used market I would think the $400-$600 range should find you some pretty good choices. There is a Cayin iDac-6 in the classifieds right now. I've had the chance to audition one twice at meets locally (well kind of locally) and they are a nice piece of kit.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Well on the used market I would think the $400-$600 range should find you some pretty good choices. There is a Cayin iDac-6 in the classifieds right now. I've had the chance to audition one twice at meets locally (well kind of locally) and they are a nice piece of kit.

That looks very nice but pushing my budget pretty hard. I'm in Canada which complicates things a bit but if I could find one here for around $600 CAD it would be a serious consideration.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Go for BURSON AUDIO PLAY this is the first DAC in the whole damn world which fits in 5.25-inch bay and packed with class A circuit and more important Clean MIC input without Hzzzzz Immmmmmmmmm bloody noise please do check this and I have preordered play and more important BURSON Legends in Audio industry
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...-rollers-dream-tour-details-on-page-3.860882/
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/play/
My friend had done a review hear from Him
http://www.soundperfectionreviews.com/2017/10/review-burson-audio-play-class.html

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 8
The Mojo sounds good and is great as a take with you DAC/amp (and a fantastic piece of design) but for fixed desktop I would suggest the Schiit Modi Multibit, and you could probably try it from one of the head-fiers living near you, but if you are using USB as input a new Bifrost MB would be a better option because of the new Gen5 USB (makes a difference), although more expensive. If you could afford the difference the new (again because of the Gen5 USB) Gungnir MB would probably be on the sweet spot of the cost/benefit curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back