Desktop DAC/AMP vs Dedicated Sound Card (Essence STX)
Aug 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

N3wKids

Head-Fier
Well, I have the K551s and I want to know which would be a better option.
Desktop DAC/AMP would be something like the Fiio E09K, against the might Essence STX.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 20
Would you actually need/want all of the STX features? (Like dolby headphones and so on)

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 20
You pay extra for features such as virtual surround (good for movies and gaming, so do you game and watch movies via your pc?), optical output (if you want to connect an external DAC to your computer) and other features mostly related to surround sound and speakers.

I don't have any personal experience with the STX. How much would the STX cost you, what are your general buying options?

Do you use your headphone as portables, if so you might want a portable amplifier?

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
You pay extra for features such as virtual surround (good for movies and gaming, so do you game and watch movies via your pc?), optical output (if you want to connect an external DAC to your computer) and other features mostly related to surround sound and speakers.

I don't have any personal experience with the STX. How much would the STX cost you, what are your general buying options?

I play games like Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, etc. 
But game sounds aren't too important to me. Movie sounds on the hand are something that I do care about. So basically, I can connect a DAC/AMP to the STX? Thus, making better sound :S?
The STX goes for 180$. As for buying options, I guess anything under 200$~ is good. Sound card, DAC, etc.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
I play games like Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, etc. 
But game sounds aren't too important to me. Movie sounds on the hand are something that I do care about. So basically, I can connect a DAC/AMP to the STX? Thus, making better sound :S?
The STX goes for 180$. As for buying options, I guess anything under 200$~ is good. Sound card, DAC, etc.

Dunno anything about pricing. The general consensus with the STX is that the DAC is pretty good, and the amplifier is decent. Good enough in your case. If you want to upgrade at any point, I'd suggest getting an amplifier, but it isn't really necessary with your current headphone.

I think you'd like dolby headphones. Try do some reading, I'm not an expert on that matter. Use the search function on the site.
Can't say whether the STX is good or bad. A user named nicholars really like it, you could pm him, but be aware that his opinion is just one among many..

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Dunno anything about pricing. The general consensus with the STX is that the DAC is pretty good, and the amplifier is decent. Good enough in your case. If you want to upgrade at any point, I'd suggest getting an amplifier, but it isn't really necessary with your current headphone.

I think you'd like dolby headphones. Try do some reading, I'm not an expert on that matter. Use the search function on the site.
Can't say whether the STX is good or bad. A user named nicholars really like it, you could pm him, but be aware that his opinion is just one among many..

Does an AMP not function like a DAC? As in it only powers the headphones more?
Also, thanks for the info :3

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 20
A DAC converts music files to sound signals, nothing more. An amplifier amplifies the signal from a DAC, nothing more. So an amplifier does not function like a DAC.
The STX has a built in DAC and amplifier, as well as a bunch of other solutions. The fiio e17, for instance is a DAC/amp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
A DAC converts music files to sound signals, nothing more. An amplifier amplifies the signal from a DAC, nothing more. So an amplifier does not function like a DAC.
The STX has a built in DAC and amplifier, as well as a bunch of other solutions. The fiio e17, for instance is a DAC/amp.

E17 is either a DAC/AMP, not both?
So E17 vs Essence STX?

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 20
It is both a DAC and an amp. The stx is as well.
The e17 is small and portable with a battery, pretty neat if you need that.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 20
I like the STX SQ over the E17. But there is the benefit of the portability of the E17.

You might also consider stepping up to the Schiit Modi and Magni ($200) separate external USB DAC and headphone amp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
E17 is either a DAC/AMP, not both?
So E17 vs Essence STX?

The AKG K551 is a 32-Ohm headphone, which means it would be better to have a headphone amplifier with an output impedance that is 4-Ohm or less, the Essence STX has a 10-Ohm output impedance.
(I would assume the K551 would still sound fairly good plugged into the STX).

A Schiit Magni external headphone amplifier, $99, has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm.
So the Magni would be preferred over the STX for driving 32-Ohm (K551) headphones.
The Xonar DX & D1 use the same audio processor (CMI8788) as the STX, so they all come with the same features (Surround Sound).
The Xonar DX & D1 do not come with a headphone amplifier, but sell used for around $50.
So a Xonar DX or D1 (used) with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier should make a good combo, for use with the AKG K551.
And as the Magni is external, it can be used with more stuff besides the computer.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #13 of 20
So a Xonar DX or D1 (used) with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier should make a good combo, for use with the AKG K551.
And as the Magni is external, it can be used with more stuff besides the computer.

+1

That's a great idea. Get the best of DSP from the Xonar card, and then the Magni as the headphone amp. I have the D1 in a computer. It's an excellent card for the money.

I'm surprised that people don't make this suggestion more often. Definitely is a cost effective way to put together a great sounding headphone setup.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 20
+2
Sounds like a good idea 
size]

Honestly I didn't think about the damping factor. Silly me.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 20
Honestly I didn't think about the damping factor. Silly me.

I didn't either. The impedance output of the STX might not be that significant a problem given that K550/K551 doesn't have a massive impedance spike or wild variations like some headphones do: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back