Desktop DAC/AMP under 500-600$
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xPakrikx

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking for replacement my Asus STX + Burson SSV5 sound card with external USB DAC/AMP under 600$

My preferences:

- Output XLR/RCA (i prefer balanced for my Eve audio sc205)
- Headphone amp
- Swappable OPA (i want use my Burson ss v5s)
- Mic input (not necessary but useful)

My favorites

Shiit Jotunheim - no swappable OPA
Asus xonar essence one mkII
Audio-gd NFB-11 - no swappable OPA

Any recommendation ?
Thanks for help

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 5
There are almost no balanced DAC/Amps in that price range other than the Jotunheim.  If you can stretch a bit, the NFB-28 is an option too.  But neither use OpAmps, which most people consider a good thing.

If you're set on using something with OpAmps, I don't think you're going to find a balanced option.  For another SE option, check out the Creative X7.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd stick to Jot.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
If you compare nfb-28 and nfb-11 on unbalanced output in sound quality. Is it worth that money ?

Thanks for advice

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 5
  If you compare nfb-28 and nfb-11 on unbalanced output in sound quality. Is it worth that money ?

Thanks for advice

I haven't heard the 11, but I have had the 15 and the 28.  I'm pretty sure the 28 is a step up from the 11 but not because it's balanced.  They make an NFB-29 that's an SE version and they wouldn't do that if it were the same as the 11.  It's got a bigger/better power supply, better DAC implementation, better amp, etc etc.

Now whether or not you've got the gear to discern the difference is probably the more important question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back