Desktop DAC/Amp to match with Emotiva ERC-2?
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

musedesign

100+ Head-Fier
Looking at ordering the Emotiva ERC-2 as a desktop CD player.  Was looking at the Marantz CD5004 ($349 with built in headphone jack and amp), but the ERC-2 appears to be a better built piece.  Interested in an inexpensive DAC / AMP to pair with the ERC-2, recommendations?

- D4 (already own) and Lyr ($449) ?
- Tube Magic D1  ($199) ?
- Audio-gd NFB-5 ($330) ?
- ?????

Listen to HD650 and DT770 (250ohm), interested in getting into Orthodynamics, starting with T50RPs

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 7
I thought the whole point of 'reference' cd players was to have an excellent internal dac.  Why do want to spend extra money on an inexpensive external dac when you haven't yet heard the dac in the Emotiva unit? 

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 7
The Emotiva ERC-2 does not have a headphone out (an advantage of getting the Marantz).  Could use the Emotiva ERC-2 and the Amp/DAC for both the CD player and listening to files from my laptop.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 7
I travel often and use my MacBook Pro as my source for music, usually listening to Pandora.

Travel Rig:  Macbook Pro > Pandora > USB > iBasso D4 with Topkit > DT770 250ohm (Non Pro) or Westone UM3X

At home I would like to get better SQ and use my HD650.  I have 100's of CDs, that I would like to start listening to.  Guess I could use the drive in the MacBook and digitize them, but don't want to eat up my hardrive.

Thinking I would by an inexpensive CD player like the Marantz CD5004.  But, It becomes a slippery slope, maybe I could get the Emotiva ERC-2....   

Current Home Rig:
Desk Rig #1:  Macbook Pro > Pandora > USB > iBasso D4 with Topkit > HD650

For CDs ?:
Desk Rig #2:  Marantz CD5004  > HD650

But thinking maybe I could do better at home
Desk Rig #3:  Marantz CD5004 > Schiit Lyr > HD650
Desk Rig #4:  Marantz CD5004 > D4 >Schiit Lyr > HD650
Desk Rig #3:  MacBook Pro > Pandora > TOSLINK > Maverick Tube Magic D1 > HD650

Suggestions??
Thanks!

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Ok, I think I understand where you're coming from now.  I haven't heard any of this gear so I can't make any recommendations but to me putting a dac like the d4 behind either the emotiva or marantz units seems counter-intuitive.  The dac section on a more expensive dedicated desktop cd player ought to be better than the dac on a less expensive portable dac/amp combo IMO. (if it's not then there's a problem)  

Have you thought about letting your macbook pro serve as the cd player and just getting a dac and amp or dac/amp combo?  Not sure how that would sound compared to something like the marantz>lyr>hd650 but it would/could be a bit cheaper.  

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 7
     Quote:
Ok, I think I understand where you're coming from now.  I haven't heard any of this gear so I can't make any recommendations but to me putting a dac like the d4 behind either the emotiva or marantz units seems counter-intuitive.  The dac section on a more expensive dedicated desktop cd player ought to be better than the dac on a less expensive portable dac/amp combo IMO. (if it's not then there's a problem)  

Have you thought about letting your macbook pro serve as the cd player and just getting a dac and amp or dac/amp combo?  Not sure how that would sound compared to something like the marantz>lyr>hd650 but it would/could be a bit cheaper.  

Deadhead12 Thanks!  

Do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive dac and amp or dac/amp combo?

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry but no.(see underlined portion above).  I am currently in the market for a new dac so I've been doing a lot of reading up on different units but I don't have any experience with any of them nor have I ever heard the hd650 so I can't really recommend anything.  There are a ton of options out there in the ~$200 to ~$700 bracket so I'm sure there is something that would work well with what you've got already. Good luck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back