Desktop dac/amp for HD600
Oct 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xZerox

New Head-Fier
My current setup is Titanium HD -> Schiit Magni 2 -> HD600/OPPO PM-3. Are there any upgrades I can do to my dac/amp for around $300~? I was thinking of getting an Audio-GD NFB-11 but I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade or side grade/worth the price. Been on the Titanium HD for years, so I want to try out a different DAC due to curiosity. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 4
My current setup is Titanium HD -> Schiit Magni 2 -> HD600/OPPO PM-3. Are there any upgrades I can do to my dac/amp for around $300~? I was thinking of getting an Audio-GD NFB-11 but I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade or side grade/worth the price. Been on the Titanium HD for years, so I want to try out a different DAC due to curiosity. 
Just my opinion I think upgrades go headphones, amp and then dacs. I don't think a new dac would be much help to you. I think you have to spend a bit more to get too much a difference. That said the Multibit Modi could be different I think there will be one at a meet this weekend as I haven't heard it yet. I have it's big brother the Yggdrasil and it made a world of difference for me but that would be Waaay over budget. I really like the multibit dacs and I believe all of the Schiit ones will be at the meet. A amp that is nice with the 600's is a Bottlehead Crack. I picked one up here for $200 but I lucked out but they can be had from time to time but it won't be to good with the Oppo's though.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd stay low in cost on the DAC as buke9 said. The Modi multibit seems to be an amazing value. Maybe save the extra $ and just go with the Modi or Modi Uber, spend the extra on more audio goodies
floatsmile.png
 .... maybe a 3rd pair of headphones?

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 4

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD)?
Slight chance active on-board might effect the add-on sound card (Ti-HD)

We can assume your using the Ti-HD's RCA line-output, to connect to the Magni's RCA input?

I do own an Audio-GD NFB-15 and would consider talking you into buying the NFB-11($400).....but.
The Ti-HD makes a fairly decent DAC.
You might be better off replacing the Magni with a Darkvoice 336SE ($213-$250) tube headphone amplifier.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back