Desktop Computer Speakers under $200 (Harman Kardon Soundsticks III vs. Swan D1080MkII08)
Mar 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished repainting my room and refinishing my molding. I'm buying a desk from ikea and I want to get some inexpensive desktop speakers (under $200) that are 'barable' and possibly even fun/enjoyable for casual listening or playing stuff in the background while i'm studying or doing homework on my blackboard wall.

I'm pretty sure Swan D1080MkII08 is the 'better' speaker. From all i've read about it, I'm told it is better than the A2s which are in the same price range.

However, I am also being 'looks conscious' because I just redid my room and I know that no matter what I buy under $200, nothing is going to compare to my Grado RS-1s anyway, so I was thinking about having a little fun (not that the swans aren't a handsome speaker). So I was thinking about getting the 2.1 Harman Kardon Soundsticks III which I've read actually 'hold their own as speakers' as not just some cool looking gimmick...

But will the Swan's blow them away?
Has anyone heard either or both speakers?
How much better are the A2s then the Soundsticks? (from everyone i've talked to that has heard both the A2s and the Swans, say the Swans are better regardless of the A2s being the popular pick)

(Sources / equip is mainly my Macbook with a uDAC and my iPod touch. I also have a Little Dot I+ i use with my RS-1s)

Let me know if yall have any imput / other suggestions.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 6
The soundsticks aren't great, the bass is horrible muddy and bloated , the satellites completly lack midrange and sound weird and sparkly to me , as far as them being "cool looking" i think the satellites look like dildos.
The a2's sound quite good and clean , they do add extra bass which sometimes can muddy lower notes a bit to composate for there small drivers and make them sound bigger and more powerful, i havn't heard the swans i havn't even seen them anywhere they seem rare and hard to get hold of, but i only ever hear good things about them and even without hearing them id take them over the soundsticks or a2's.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Went to the computer mall today and got myself a pair of Swan D1010MKII 08. I don't have the space for any larger speakers but can tell you that for sure the Swans sound better than the JBL Soundsticks I & II (not sure about III). If I had the room, I would definitely have gone for the D1080MKII 08.

I had the chance to sample quite 4 Swan speakers in not the most ideal environment (cramped, messy, noisy) and the differences between the different Swan speakers are audible as even my gf could tell the difference. There is a marked step up from each : D1010MKII 08 < D1080MKII 08 < M200 MKII < M200 MKIII. 

Price-wise, I paid HK$580 for them - which was miles cheaper than the JBL or even the new Creative T20. Over here the D1080 is selling for HK$ 890. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 6
would you guys say the Swans should basically be better than the Harman Kardon's in pretty much every aspect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back