Desktop Computer Setup- Soundcard/External with Recording Capabilities??
Aug 30, 2010 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ojyarumaru

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for a soundcard/external dac that can drive studio monitors (KRK RP5's) and headphones (AKG K81DJ, iems) from my desktop computer. I record some acoustic guitar and vocals from time to time so it'd be great if there was a mic in option.
I searched numerous threads and saw that people recommended ASUS XONAR STX and EMU 0404, but they were from pretty old threads (2 years+ or so). Do you guys have any suggestions?

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 6
0404 Usb is the way to go, it has two decent quality mic preamps with phantom power, high grade A\D and D\A converters, for a cheap price.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 6
The E-MU 0404 was first out of the box with a quality, affordable USB 2.0 audio interface. It's still excellent.

There are many exciting competing products now appearing on a regular basis. 

I like the look of the Focusrite saffire 6 http://www.focusrite.com/uk/products/audio_interfaces/saffire_6_usb

It does everything you ask for costs the same as the E-MU but crucially allows you to output 2 independent stereo pairs simultaneously. 

You might not appreciate it yet but this is very, very useful. Not just for DJ style cueing . You can be on Skype or in game  on a headset and still be playing bit perfect audio on loudspeakers. Feed different signals to different rooms. Record one source whilst listening to a second. etc etc.

If you are able to spend a little more money then take a look at this little beauty.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Aug 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Don't know much about the straight Saffire except it's got more channels in (4) and more channels out (10), uses a firewire port instead of USB, comes with an excellent software bundle (EQ, compressor, amp modelling, reverb & 5 channel mixer) and costs over twice as much as the Saffire 6.

Looks cool if you can afford to spend spend that much.

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 6
I managed to find a good deal on ebay for less than the price of the Saffire 6. Waiting on it to arrive now. Hopefully it will exceed my expectations.

Thanks for your help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back